deposit in the bottom of my SW 5 gallon jug

finaddict

I went to change my water tonight and I noticed the bottom of the 5 gallon jug that I store SW in has a scaly deposit int he bottom of it. I shook it up hard and some of the flakes came off and were suspended in the water.  I dumped that water down the drain and put hot FW in and shook it like crazy and the rest is not coming off. 

Any ideas what it was and if it is normal?  I hate to throw the jug away since it cost me $25 and I have only been using it for a year.

Thanks!

Dave

Every salt I've used has left a residue in the bottom of the bucket if it's stored. Reef crystals in instant ocean are the worst but I've never noticed a problem with any of them. I don't Store salt water anymore just RO water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always been told that the brown precipitate that forms on the bottom is harmless. It is insoluble in any case. I ignore it.

Good news, its too late for the 5 gallons I dumped but it it does save me $25 bucks to buy a new jug! Thanks for the quick replies.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are concerned about it using diluted white vinegar works well on this stuff. Make sure it is rinsed well before using. Using a little Seachem PRIME helps after the cleaning with vinegar.