Another sick clownfish

(edited)

Hi guys. My friend got a clownfish from petco and it has white ich- white spots. I checked her salinity and it's at 1.023. Nitrate is at 5.

She has soft corals and a pederson shrimp.

Should I get copper treatment and treat the fish in a hospital tank and leave her pederson shrimp in the tank for four weeks?

Or..

Should I try hypo salinity at 1.009 for two weeks at 78-80°?

Is there a better treatment?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mari.harutunian

hospital tank for the clown with a good filter and cupramine or coppersafe (and a test kit) and leave the main tank fishless for 11 weeks is the typical advice.

hospital tank for the clown with a good filter and cupramine or coppersafe (and a test kit) and leave the main tank fishless for 11 weeks is the typical advice.

Got it. Filter only and water changes? Or LR too?

No live rock.  It interferes with the copper concentration.  The copper suppresses the bacteria population too, so frequent water changes are necessary in the hospital tank to start.  When you do a water change you should dose the change water with copper first and get it all mixed in.  Also, I think the treatment concentration is .5ppm, iirc, but you might start slowly at half that and work your way up.  

I used one of these in my treatment tank and it worked fine:

http://a.co/4W535Bj

but it's one of those things that you kind of have to have running in a sump for a few weeks to get it seeded with bacteria before it helps.

You probably also want one of these:

http://a.co/auqK9Oe

to tell you if the ammonia levels are getting high for a while until the treatment tank is cycled if you're just setting it up.

No live rock. It interferes with the copper concentration. The copper suppresses the bacteria population too, so frequent water changes are necessary in the hospital tank to start. When you do a water change you should dose the change water with copper first and get it all mixed in. Also, I think the treatment concentration is .5ppm, iirc, but you might start slowly at half that and work your way up.

I used one of these in my treatment tank and it worked fine:

http://a.co/4W535Bj

but it's one of those things that you kind of have to have running in a sump for a few weeks to get it seeded with bacteria before it helps.

You probably also want one of these:

http://a.co/auqK9Oe

to tell you if the ammonia levels are getting high for a while until the treatment tank is cycled if you're just setting it up.

Thanks so much!

The best treatment I have done so far is with Chloroquine Phosphate (CP),

All it needs is a dark aquarium settings since light breaks the CP. It treats a wide variety of fish ailments easier than Copper treatment. 

It should only be done in hospital tank without any inverts/corals.

There is some fish food which has CP laced into it to treat Ick as well.

I agree w/the CP treatment if you can get your hands on some.

I will never buy a Petco fish again.  I got a tang which wiped my entire tank out.  I went fallow for 9 weeks and finally got rid of whatever it was and now QT everything before going in the main tank.  

I agree w/the CP treatment if you can get your hands on some.

I will never buy a Petco fish again. I got a tang which wiped my entire tank out. I went fallow for 9 weeks and finally got rid of whatever it was and now QT everything before going in the main tank.

That sounds awful :/ I'm glad I'm done stocking my tank. Thanks for the recommendations!

How's the rest of the tank?

The tank was incredibly unusual because she kept having shrimp die on her too but temp, salinity, Nitrate, Nitrite, ammonia, and phosphate were all in check. Plus he tank was covered head to toe in green slime algae and this white squishy growth. Ended up cleaning it out with a near 100% water change. Figured it was the distilled water she used for topoff so I gave her some RODI and gave her the water change water. So far the last shrimp hasn't died. This was her first tank too.

I will never buy a Petco fish again.

The damsel pair I'm donating to raffle came from Petco, and (based on observable details) they have been in perfect health from the time of purchase.

treesprite, hopefully you'll never see an issue but I saw enough in my follow up visit (which I did in order to inform them of what happened) to think their livestock was not worth the risk. Hopefully things have changed but now that my tank is well and my fish are healthy, I won't risk being burned there again. In 20 years with 6 different tanks that was my worst experience.

treesprite, hopefully you'll never see an issue but I saw enough in my follow up visit (which I did in order to inform them of what happened) to think their livestock was not worth the risk. Hopefully things have changed but now that my tank is well and my fish are healthy, I won't risk being burned there again. In 20 years with 6 different tanks that was my worst experience.

Not all the stores are the same. But in any store that sells fish, the prospective buyer needs to look not just at the fish desired, but at the rest of the fish and at the conditions of their environment, and sometimes even ask the clerk questions about water chemistry in the store tanks, shipment date, feeding regime, and other relevant things. I don't buy fish from Petco normally, but I had a separate tank to put the damsels in where anything wrong with them wouldn't affect my other livestock, and getting them out if needed for treatment, wouldn't be a big ordeal. The important thing is that all fish, with very rare exception, should be quarantined in a tank that is in isolation from everything else, and reefing tools should not go directly from that tank into other tanks since they might have parasites or whatever stuck on them.

petsmarts and other stores get their fish from mostly the same sources in LA, Florida, and NY.

Assume all fish from every store are diseased and that they need to be QT's and medicated before introduction to your tank.