How would I move a 90g tank for new floors

madub03

As the title suggests, I am getting new floors in my house and have no clue what to do about my 90g tank. I was wondering if anyone else had any similar experience or advise on what to do. It will be engineered hardwood that will be glued down to the floor so I don't think I can't put weight on it immediately but I shouldn't need to wait too long. My initial thoughts were either:

Option A: Wait until half of the room is done with the hardwood, take out the sump and equipment, drain out as much water as I can into a couple of brute trash cans, move the tank onto the finished hardwood (try not to scratch anything), put the water and sump back in, do the rest of the hardwood in the room, drain again, move tank back, set back up... 

Option B: Set up a smaller tank in a different room that isn't getting hardwood installed, move fish and coral into that tank, 'break down' 90g tank while hardwood is being installed, then set back up when floors are finished

If anyone has any additional advise, that would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance 

Both are good options but I feel with option a you do risk scratching stuff up. Ive seen people keep all their tanks inhabitants in brute tubs also. Some have even done it for an extended period of time.

I would go option B and think about using a rubbermaid stock tank. That way you have some more time to get things moved over and if something breaks you arent dealing with that as well.

So, just get a big rubbermaid tub and move everything over including the live rock and tank water and then run lights for the coral, a heater and powerheads?

I think theres a member here that had theirs in a tub for like a year. I've never done it myself but im assuming you treat it just like a tank but its in the tub. Hopefully someone else chimes in with details.

I have a 100 gallon tub you can borrow if you chose to go that route

Oh wow, thanks... I have about 3-4 weeks to figure it out so I will let you know. 

I recommend getting a set of pallet wheels ( not sure if it's actually called that) essentially a low profile platform with 4 wheels so you can move it if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend getting a set of pallet wheels ( not sure if it's actually called that) essentially a low profile platform with 4 wheels so you can move it if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A similar option would be furniture sliders - you wouldn't have to lift the stand and tank quite as high to get them underneath as you would for pallet wheels or a furniture dolly. I used to use some under the small caster wheels of my wife's piano so that they wouldn't leave an indention in our hardwood floors when it was moved to do occasional cleaning and dusting behind it.

The only thing you'll have to be careful with if you choose 'option a' is to make sure the top of your stand is solid/rigid enough that it won't flex when you move or lift one end of it. Otherwise, you may risk also flexing the tank and putting excessive pressure the bottom pane (if it's rimless), or the silicon seams ... which could lead to broken glass or a leaky seam.

Edited by malacoda

break it down and set it up in the kitchen or someplace until the floors are done, then tear it down again and move it back. It's only a 90g tank- shouldn't take more than a few hours both times to do.

break it down and set it up in the kitchen or someplace until the floors are done, then tear it down again and move it back. It's only a 90g tank- shouldn't take more than a few hours both times to do.

^^ This is probably the way I'd do it. If it's just a short-term move, then I'd probably just buy or borrow a 100 gallon stock tank and move your stuff over to it for the duration.  Set the clean, water-tested stock tank up. Transfer half the water from your tank over to it. Move the rock. Transfer some more water. Catch & move your fish. Empty your tank (if you have sand, you can probably leave some/most of it in the tank if not too heavy). Move your tank & stand, with the help of some big friends. Reverse to set things up again.