Magic Erasers for Acrylic Tank?

Irishfist25

im about to set up my first acrylic tank and was looking into what to clean it with.  i found a lot about using magic erasers, mostly positive results.  My concern is with long term use.  Can anybody let me know if they have used this method long term without any negative results?

The magic eraser is fine. It's a polymer foam with embedded microabrassives typically used for polishing. It won't leave a visible scratch in your tank. It's reasonably good at removing gunk from the inside of your acrylic panel, but slow to remove the tougher stuff like thick coraline algae that might grow after some neglect. You can also use an original Dobie kitchen scrubbie. In both cases, be careful that you don't get something caught between the sponge and the panel, or you'll scratch the panel. If you do scratch the acrylic, you can polish it out using an acrylic scratch removal kit like the kind they have at Marine Depot..

ok, thats mostly what ive read.  a few people have claimed that overtime, the acrylic can look hazy because of the "buildup" of micro scratches.  Nobody has actually said it had happened, just claimed it would.  Thats why i wanted to check with people on here that have actually used it long term.  Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I've also used them for last last couple of years on my acrylic seahorse tank. Weekly I do a 50% wc and scrub away with the eraser.just make sure you get the untreated ones... generally stay away from any "bathroom" etc ones that have added chemicals.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using them for years , they are amazing for acrylic, just get the plan old original ones without any added stuff to them , I cut them in half and attach it to my mighty magnet works wonders

I have done this as well for many years and have had great results. They really work well and are safe!

Tom