57G Tank Cycling Questions

mpitzer

Good Morning All!!

Although originally planning a 60G cube build, I ended up changing my mind for a 57G Deep Dimension standard aquarium.  I finally got around to starting the tank on Sunday, January 22 so it has been up and running for 5 days now.  I got some established live rock and live sand from Big Sarge's tank on Thursday January 19 and kept the rock in a holding tank with 50/50 established water/new water with a powerhead and heater added on Friday.  So, filled the tank on Sunday and put the rock, sand, and around 20% established water and 80% new water in the tank that day as well.

Have tested three times this week and as of the test last night, have not seen any ammonia or nitrites but get a nitrate reading around 10ppm.  I have been reading about cycling and know that "some" tanks can be cycled immediately with established "stuff" but I would find it hard to believe that I would be in that boat. 

Would appreciate any help I can get regarding how these readings should be interpreted or whether the cycle just hasn't started yet and what I could do to jumpstart it.

post-2633658-0-92602800-1485533444_thumb.jpg

post-2633658-0-99502800-1485533456_thumb.jpg

post-2633658-0-21441000-1485533471_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you've established the aerobic part of your nitrogen cycle with the anaerobic part (that further reduces nitrates to nitrogen) lagging a little. This is typical and should catch up reasonably soon.

Sent from my phone

That is excellent news!  Ill take a sample to quantum reefs tonight to make sure my readings are correct.  Thanks for the responses.

If you used live rock and sand then it's possible since the bacterias are already established. Just to be sure, try adding an ammonia source. I use pure ammonia so it's easy to add in 2ppm and see if no ammonia or nitrites are present ~24hrs later. Looking forward to seeing your tank progress.

Alright, so I went and talked to Vince at Quantum Reefs and he told me to keep cycling it for another few days and monitoring.  I did notice yesterday a bunch of little slugs or snails crawling around on the glass.... at least its a sign that something can live in the tank.  Are these small snails?  I'm sure they will make a tasty treat for a wrasse soon enough.

post-2633658-0-45495400-1485790811_thumb.jpg

Alright, so I went and talked to Vince at Quantum Reefs and he told me to keep cycling it for another few days and monitoring.  I did notice yesterday a bunch of little slugs or snails crawling around on the glass.... at least its a sign that something can live in the tank.  Are these small snails?  I'm sure they will make a tasty treat for a wrasse soon enough.

Those are stomatella snails.  Very good cleaners!  

I am looking to introduce a firefish to the tank this weekend and was wondering if I should do a water change before I add the fish?  The tank has been up and running since January 15 and I haven't done any water changes.

If the water's stable and parameters are good, then there's no need for a water change specifically because you're adding a fish. There's also little harm in performing a water change if it's due.

Also, I am using a salifert ammonia test kit and I want to make sure I am reading it correctly.  When I follow the directions and hold the test vial to the white piece of paper, the water is slightly cloudy but there is no yellowish hue to it.  Although its slightly cloudy, I would not compare it to any color other than zero ppm......would that be your interpretation?

The nitrite and nitrate tests are very easy to read.  Never had a nitrite reading and nitrate spiked around 10 and has dropped to around 2.5

Also, I am using a salifert ammonia test kit and I want to make sure I am reading it correctly.  When I follow the directions and hold the test vial to the white piece of paper, the water is slightly cloudy but there is no yellowish hue to it.  Although its slightly cloudy, I would not compare it to any color other than zero ppm......would that be your interpretation?

Yes. If you don't see a yellow (or orange) color, then your kit is not detecting the presence of ammonia.