What's Your TDS?

Guest reeftanklfs

Guest reeftanklfs

Hi guys:

If any of you have a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) hooked up to your RO units, what type of values are you seeing coming from your RO?  I'm not talking about RODI units because they should be putting out 0 TDS. If any of you know what your TDS values are for your tap water before it goes into your RO units, this info would be helpful too.

Thanks

Seems water is super dirty this year- likely due to all the moisture.  In short time my sediment filter is brown- during the drought year, it took a long time to get that dirty.

Guest Kimo

Does anyone know a good place to get an add on DI cartridge?  Maybe that's why I have so much cyano :P

J

Jamie,

An alternative to Buckley's is www.inreef.com.  Their DI cartridge can be added on to the output line from your RO unit.  Inreef is cheaper than Buckley's and they have good service (I have ordered bulbs from them) but I don't know about their DI unit.

Eddi

• 3 months later...
Guest mmcaleer

141 ppm from tap

5 ppm from RO

0 ppm from DI

Using a Typhoon III from www.airwaterice.com

Mike

Guest goblinshark
Why do they have to be so expensive?  Its hard doing this hobby without a lot of money, so im using tap and PRIME and hopin its ok.  :p

Guest ssaldana

0-1 out of the DI

I used my unit for the past 3 months and noticed algae blooms. Bought a TDS and it read 130ppm out of the DI. flushed the membrane for 30 minutes and it went all the way down to 0ppm. Just a reminder to you guys to flush your membrane once a month   [hih]

Guest ssaldana

My unit comes with a 90 deg valve which restricts and releases the flow through the membrane.

It should say flow just below or around the valve.

Kent also sells a flush kit you can add to your unit.   I flush mine for 30-60 seconds prior to use every time.

I have no such valve.

So a flush kit, is that like a fancy $25 way to reverse the flow?  What am I looking to do? My guess is reverse the flow to push water in the clean water "out" ????

I don't remember how much I paid for the flush kit, I have it had a number of years.  I think basically all it does is bypass the flow restrictor so the water rather than being absorbed by the membrane and filtered, rushes over it to remove various sediments that have accumulated with time.

Does it work?  I honestly have no idea as I have always used it.

Hmmm so the water still goes "in" the same way it does durring filtering, but then all the water comes out the "dirty" line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to do that without a kit, right?

You are assuming I understand the principle of the flush kit correctly.  Brave soul.

However, if that is the case then you should be able to do the same on your own.  Basically, all you need to do is bypass the flow restrictor.

All you have to do is remove your flow restrictor, let the unit run for a while, then replace the flow restrictor...voila...flush kit.

The flush kit does the same thing, but allow you to turn a valve which directs water that used to go through the flow restrictor through another tube without and restriction.