Reeflo hammerhead gasket replacment issue

TonyB13

So Like a Dumb a$$ i cranked down on my pump housing and cracked the out let on my Hammerhead reeflo, ordered a new one got it and now i am trying to put the new face plate that I broke back on. so when I took the face plate off i noticed that on the O ring there seems to be some sort of sealant like white silicone aquarium sealer type of material. I cant find any place on their website or on line videos that says that I should use any thing like that anyone have any ideas.
Thnaks

post-2636297-0-00019800-1481154018_thumb.jpg

post-2636297-0-48870000-1481154026_thumb.jpg

That looks like silicone to me. Best thing is to use a silicone lubricant but you can install without it and it should be fine as long as the gasket is good. The lubricant helps keep it from drying out and cracking plus helps it fit better when tightening. Just my experience. If that's hardened silicone try and peel off all the old stuff if it comes off without messing up the gasket. You could use silicone like they did after that you clean it off if your worried about leaks but you would probably need to wait over a day for it to dry.

They sell a silicone remover at Lowes in the caulk area and that would soften the old silicone and help with removal. Once silicone is removed, o-ring cleaned and re-installed, I would apply new silicone as they had it and bolt it up. Just remember Confucius say, "anything past tight, is broke."  

Just remember Confucius say, "anything past tight, is broke."  

That's great.  At our work we often say, after someone just stripped the threads "Bottom it out!  It's the American Way!"

By the way, I've done seals in two Reeflo pumps and neither of those had silicone on the o-ring like that.  I guess it wouldn't hurt anything if you are doing a good job of clamping it together, but it seems to me that if you're reusing that o-ring and start cleaning it off and intend to put new silicone in there you'll have to get it really clean to get it to seal again.  Nice thing about not using silicone is that the o-ring stays nice and uniform...

Seems to me it may have had silicone cause it leaked. But they could have just been being extra cautious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk