Yard right Sand

phisigs79

Ok so I bought 6x 40lb bags of Yardright from Southern States in Manassas and did the vinegar test and it failed. I looked at the bag and it states that it has silicia in it. I was trying to see if anyone know where I can get the good stuff? I need about 150lbs. Also was wondering if anyone has used this stuff in their tank and seen any side effects from it. I got some live sand from a fellow reefer and I believe that what he gave me contains silicia but my tank seems pretty healthy. Let me know what you all think.

No "right" sand in our side of Beltway - I checked every possible place...

As for silica - it wil leach into your water and you might have constant diatom problems.

what color was the sand? if you look at it (if it is white) does it look like it has small glass particles in it.

i have gotten yard right from the southern states in manassas and it did pass the vinegar test. the bag should have a blue logo on it.

SandBags.gif

its the one in the middle

Chris, check this out

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic21596-11...ght=silica+sand

basically, any non-toxic sand will do. For example, I have some southdown in my backyard that I have sprayed with weed killer (not joes juice btw). I would consider this to be toxic.

In other words, go ahead and use what you have.

Garrett.

Man that article was making me dizzy trying to keep up with him! :drink:

its definately silicia it says so on the bag and didnt fizz one bit. Should i still use it? It seems that some articles say its ok and other say not to use it. anyone using it right now and see adverse side effects?

I was able to score 6 bags from Dr Mac last fall. He bought all the remaining bags from the Southern State in his area. You might call him and see if he has and/or is selling. Also has good deals on LR.

In my searching 6 months ago, I talked to the company. They stated that they had lost the rights to mine tropical sand on the island and that you may find some left over in stores. Good Luck on your search.

BTW, I used to carry a little film canister filled with vinegar for easy testing in the store :)

Regards,

John

its definately silicia it says so on the bag and didnt fizz one bit. Should i still use it? It seems that some articles say its ok and other say not to use it. anyone using it right now and see adverse side effects?

I have 400lbs of it in the lookdown tank...didnt test it. there is some diatom/ cyano growth right now, nothing a clean up crem of blue legs, strombus conchs, and a kole tang cant control. There is an outside factor...one of my store lights was a safety light in that it stayed on even when i turn the rest off. I think that has a lot to with it as well. overall im happy with it, IT DOES contain silicates. I will post any progress or problems as I see them......wanna peek? come check it out.

Sean