The Exterminator is coming. How to protect my fish tanks?

Nelsonqd2015

Hi All,

Next Friday, November 11, 2016 my building is doing an extermination procedure in my building/apartment for bugs and mice. I contacted the apartment management and asked them to contact the extermination company to let them know that I have birds and fish.

I got a letter saying that I need to cover the fish tanks and turn off all the filters while they are working in the apartment. They are drilling between the wall studs to put in insecticide. Also, they asked to put the birds in the bathroom and close the door.

I took the day off to be at home but it makes me nervous. I think I will send my birds to my parent's house but I can't move the fish/corals.

Any advice on how to best protect my fish tanks?

Thanks,

Nelson

I always did as they told you, put a heavy blanket over the tanks and turn off the external filtration.  After they are gone just open the windows for awhile to air the place out and then turn everything back on.  You will be fine.

I still think the reason I started having so many problems with my tank and deaths was the pesticides in my old apartment (since I moved, no problems). You are lucky to have a management that communicates with you, and tells you before they do things.

Edited by treesprite

There are success stories of people tenting their tanks with plastic sheeting and a light, wooden framework and then using a powerful air pump fed by outside air to create positive air inside the tent. Tell the exterminator what you are doing.

I always did as they told you, put a heavy blanket over the tanks and turn off the external filtration.  After they are gone just open the windows for awhile to air the place out and then turn everything back on.  You will be fine.

I had an exterminator come to my building a couple months ago for bugs. I did exactly as Big Country says. Jut put a blanket over my reef tank and my two freshwater tanks, turned off any external filters on the fresh tanks and only the skimmer in the reef. When the exterminator left I just opened the windows and put a fan blowing air out for a couple hours before turning everything back on since there was a faint smell in the air. No issues for any of my tanks.