Freeze-dried foods

WheresTheReef

I have a couple tangs, several anthias, two angelfish, a fire fish and a couple clowns. I primarily feed frozen to all my fish. Occasionally, I'll throw in a few pinches of flakes for some of the fish that actually eat it. I also provide seaweed several times a week for my tangs.

My concern is when I travel. Many of my fish don't eat pellets or flakes. I was thinking about buying some freeze-dried mysis (or other type) so that I could add it to an auto-feeder if I leave for more than a few days. I have read of some people adding vitamins to freeze-dried foods as it will absorb it as well.

Would like to hear about your experiences with it. Also, have any of you had any luck (good or bad) with freeze-dried foods in an auto-feeder? Not sure if my fish will eat it, but thought I would ask before spending money on it.

Just get someone to feed. What I do Is propionate out what I feed and put in zip lock bags so when my friend stops by all they have to do is take out the bag and feed. I don't have to worry about them under or over feeding this way. Then when they come back they just take out another premeasured bag thaw and feed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I feed freeze dried krill. All my fish love it just like mysis. It don't go bad (that I'm aware of) I leave it sit out. I also feed flakes green and red, ns pellets, frozen mysis, frozen krill, frozen brine,frozen blood worms,

Each say they get a new item. When I go on vacation or away for the weekend they get the auto feeder with anyone of the dry items

In the past, I was of the mindset that my fish can live without a feeding for at least several days. I just fed them well in the days leading up to my absence and let them ride the absence out. Normally, there's more than enough in the tank for them to pick on throughout the day. If I was gone for an extended period, I'd pre-measure food and enlist the help of my wife/daughter or a friend to feed the fish at least once a day. Since my fish are more than happy to eat flake or pellets, an autofeeder makes all this unnecessary these days. 

I feed freeze dried krill. All my fish love it just like mysis. It don't go bad (that I'm aware of) I leave it sit out. I also feed flakes green and red, ns pellets, frozen mysis, frozen krill, frozen brine,frozen blood worms,

Each say they get a new item. When I go on vacation or away for the weekend they get the auto feeder with anyone of the dry items

Have you tried freeze-dried in your auto feeder? Any issues with it just floating? Do you always rehydrate it before feeding it to the tank?

In the past, I was of the mindset that my fish can live without a feeding for at least several days. I just fed them well in the days leading up to my absence and let them ride the absence out. Normally, there's more than enough in the tank for them to pick on throughout the day. If I was gone for an extended period, I'd pre-measure food and enlist the help of my wife/daughter or a friend to feed the fish at least once a day. Since my fish are more than happy to eat flake or pellets, an autofeeder makes all this unnecessary these days.

Yea I will also let them go a few days without food on some occasions. My wife is a good helper most trips, but family vacations are the problem. I thought about getting my neighbor to help. Just looking into alternatives. Many of my fish eat everything I add to the tank, but a few just won't touch dried foods.

Yea I will also let them go a few days without food on some occasions. My wife is a good helper most trips, but family vacations are the problem. I thought about getting my neighbor to help. Just looking into alternatives. Many of my fish eat everything I add to the tank, but a few just won't touch dried foods.

If you can find a neighbor to help out, make it easy for them and portion the food out into small plastic Dixie cups. Mark each cup with the day that you want it put in the tank. That takes portion control out of the hands of the volunteer and reduces the risk of overfeeding/polluting the tank. 

In this hobby seems like somebody somewhere has tried everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJi_nj65vTU

Interesting frozen food system. Not sure how long food can stay in there. I'm hoping to go low tech with an auto feeder and freeze-dried foods. Something that would last a week or so. Could also make it longer term if the anthias take to it.

Do not put freeze dried in the feeder they seem to just float and make it to the overflow. Add a little water to them

Will clump a bit but will sink. When I feed freeze dry I actually take a pinch and sink it under water in front of mp60 and let it do its magic or il soak it before adding if I'm feeling like taking the extra time to do it. Some times I feed once every 3 days the one weekends 6 7 times. My fish are nice and fat and healthy now I only do this when my phos are high or low. All depends how the tank looks or what numbers say. I'd have no fear of leaving my tank for a weekend. Would I still worry yes.. like someone else said you should have plenty of pods some alage too pick at and they will be fine

Edited by Customride0105

When feeding dry using a feeder, either use a feeding ring or some device that keeps the food from going into the overflow before sinking. I use some 2" gray PVC pipe attached to a piece of plywood that serves as a platform for the feeder. The pipe extends about an inch into the water. When food drops in, it soaks and sinks without going into the overflow.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk