Bought Nikon D50 what accessories should I get?

cbashaw

I just ordered a Nikon D50 with an 18-55 lens and it should be here in about 2 days :wig:

This is my first SLR so I should be busy with it for a little while before I need to mess with other lenses.

I know I will need a macro lense but have no idea which one.

I don't know what else I should be planning on getting filters/flash etc...

I need a very tall tripod. My curent tripod is 57" and the top of my tank is 75" I have been pitting my tripod on 5g buckets and I'm hoping to get away from doing this.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Chris

I just ordered a Nikon D50 with an 18-55 lens and it should be here in about 2 days :wig:

This is my first SLR so I should be busy with it for a little while before I need to mess with other lenses.

I need a very tall tripod. My curent tripod is 57" and the top of my tank is 75" I have been pitting my tripod on 5g buckets and I'm hoping to get away from doing this.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris stop by the house so you can see my camera setup and get some ideas of what can work for you.

Raf

Guest Larry-T

Thanks,

Chris

I recently sold all of my film camera gear but still have my heavy-duty tripod left. I think it may get taller than yours. If you're interested, I'll pull it out and see what it's length is fully extended.

If it meets your needs, maybe we can make a deal.

I recently sold all of my film camera gear but still have my heavy-duty tripod left. I think it may get taller than yours. If you're interested, I'll pull it out and see what it's length is fully extended.

If it meets your needs, maybe we can make a deal.

That sounds good to me let me know when you find out :-)

Guest Larry-T

With the legs fully splayed out for stability and the column cranked to the top, it's 75" from the floor to the top of the head.

With the legs fully splayed out for stability and the column cranked to the top, it's 75" from the floor to the top of the head.

That's exactly what I need. How much do you want for it? Where are you located?

Guest Larry-T

That's exactly what I need. How much do you want for it? Where are you located?

It's a Bogen 4037, so the equivalent for it new is $200+. I'll take $100. I'm in Montgomery Village not far from Lakeforest Mall. The exit from 270 is 11. If you decide you want it, I'll give you directions that are better than mapquest's.

1. Get a tripod (which I see your already doing)

2. Get a macro lens (Or "micro" as Nikon calls them)

3. Let me borrow the Micro lens (because I don't have one ;))

Those two things will get you started.

It's a Bogen 4037, so the equivalent for it new is $200+. I'll take $100. I'm in Montgomery Village not far from Lakeforest Mall. The exit from 270 is 11. If you decide you want it, I'll give you directions that are better than mapquest's.

OK

I'll take it. I will have to wait until the wekend to get the money though. I live in Germantown and work in Kings farm you're not too far from me.

Guest Larry-T

OK

I'll take it. I will have to wait until the wekend to get the money though. I live in Germantown and work in Kings farm you're not too far from me.

PM Sent. See you then!

If I wasn't broke from buying the camera I would get this macro. It looks like a good price compared to the others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Nikkor-55mm-Micr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Inna,

I got it on Ebay it is remanufactured one. It was only $499 + shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

(WITH A LENS AND A FULL WARRANTY). If you want I can bring it by sometime and we can try to get some good pics for you to submit to the Congressional contest.

Cool. Nice camera!

Are you sure this lens will fit?

From what I was told the nikkor lenses for digital and 35mm are the same so it should fit but I can't afford it right now anyway :-)

I have a 10X macro lense from my Canon a85 that will screw on the end of the stock d50 lens. I'll have to play with that for a while and see how well it works.

Guest Larry-T

From what I was told the nikkor lenses for digital and 35mm are the same so it should fit but I can't afford it right now anyway :-)

Not exactly. If they are the newer (AI) 35mm lenses they will work. The older ones will not. That's why I sold off my collection of Nikons and Nikkor Lenses (including the 55mm macro). They were all from the "Pre-AI" days and would not work with any of the new Nikon digital cameras.

I even wrote to Nikon and sent the serial numbers of the two lenses I wanted most to use to see if Nikon could offer any way (even in pure manual mode) to get them to work with their new line of cameras. The response was "sorry, no can do."

I've been playing around with the D50 and have got a few nice pics out of it. I still have lots to learn though.

I took this pic without using my tripod and I only cropped it in Photoshop I didn't make any adjustments to it. What do you think?

Damsel.gif

I think your better than me!

That's why you should just give me all your equipment and take up drinking as a hobby :cheers:

I use a very advanced technique to take pictures like this. Take pictures until the memory card is full and hope one or two of them come out nice.

Here's a few more.

Yellowpolpys.gif

PurplyCap.gif

Hermit2.gif

Hammer.gif

Well I just got back from a 10 day trip to Mexico and I still can't take a single decent picture with my D50.

I used the same advanced technique unfortunately it was a 2 gig card and a 1 gig card. So now I just have an enormous amount of bad pictures.

Well I just got back from a 10 day trip to Mexico and I still can't take a single decent picture with my D50.

I used the same advanced technique unfortunately it was a 2 gig card and a 1 gig card. So now I just have an enormous amount of bad pictures.

Hmmm... did you try taking some without you in it? That in itself would probably help out a lot!

:wink:

Hmmm... did you try taking some without you in it? That in itself would probably help out a lot!

:wink:

Taking the lens cap off really helped me it took me a while to figure that one out :-)

The picutes I took during the road trip to Atlantis Aquarium yesterday were all taken with a D50 that I got day before yesterday. :)

The link to them is in the thread about the road trip. :-)

Eric,

Those pics look great and their tanks are too I wish I was able to go :-)

Here's a few pictures I took today with a cheap screw on macro lens I can't wait to get a good macro lens.

for size reference the pods were shot in front of an 1/8" acrylic baffle in my sump.

Pod2.gif

Pod.gif

Eric,

Those pics look great and their tanks are too I wish I was able to go :-)

Thanks. :)

I want to get a decent macro lens, too.

Can anybody suggest one that is good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? :)

Thanks

Eric