20 long. DIY. Rimless tank.

Joshifer

Petco is having their $1 a gallon sale on the 25th. I actually went in to buy the 20 long guy told me wait and get it half off. Anyway.

I hate the black plastic it annoys the H-E-double hockey sticks out of me. It's ugly and old fashioned.

If I remove the black plastic edges is it gonna come apart on me? I saw people Doing it on YouTube. I won't touch the silicone. Cept the globs in the corners. Just shave that down a little. But the seams I won't touch. I can live with the bottom black brace. I Just want to remove the top My concern is the glass bowing and popping seams. Maybe I can keep the 4 corners black. Just remove the middles of each side.

Let me know. Or am I creating a ticking time bomb. This one will be for a few years. I can't go bigger. While in this house. Space reasons.

Edited by Joshifer

I wouldn't... it has a brace for a reason.. u will no doubt hear from people saying they did it with no issues... but I just wouldn't.. especially with the added weight of the HOB and the light...

Why not just get a deep blue rimless? You can get them fairly cheap.. I had a 24?? gallon for a sump.. I think it was in the $50 range

Correction.. it was the 20x20x16 rimless cube and I paid $66 for it...

I hate tall tanks. I want a 12 inch tall.

so even if I keep the bottom brace it's still no good?

I'll look into that rimless once you just said. Can't afford it anytime soon tomorrow's my daughters birthday. That's gonna cost me a grand. And my cousins weddings on the 21st that's gonna cost me another $1000-$1500. (My culture gives the bride $500 cash gift.) and I need to buy clothes for the family. And my wife likes to pay $500 on dresses she wears once :/

Guess my upgrade can wait another month.

Edited by Joshifer

And no i can't get out of giving the bride $500 because it's family. They'll see it as disrespect. And in return I'll shame my father. So ya. I hate culture stuff lol.

Can't find those deep blues. Whatever I'm finding is over $300. I can get a AIO for less.

Back to the original idea. Take off the top. Keep the bottom. Cross brace down the middle with a piece of glass from Home Depot with silicone. I can even put the light on it.

Aqua clear 50/70 doesn't have much weight. Prolly turn it into a fuge. And run it on the left side and not the back.

And a 500GPH koralia on the right side. It's long maybe 800. H-E-double hockey sticks im Doing all this I might as well drill it and pickup a 10 gal and make a fuge. Those 92GPH fountain pumps don't make heat. Could use it for the return.

Next problem. Do clownfish jump.

Edited by Joshifer

You can make a brace with glass, but I would brace it around the inside, not just the center. You could go to a glass shop and get specific dimensions cut.

Any deep blue dealer can order you any size.. they have rimless in 12" depth as well as a ton of other sizes...

I wouldn't feel comfortable with removing the rim.. but if ya wanna gamble give it a try.. I know it has been done successfully so maybe work out for ya...

Any deep blue dealer can order you any size.. they have rimless in 12" depth as well as a ton of other sizes...

I wouldn't feel comfortable with removing the rim.. but if ya wanna gamble give it a try.. I know it has been done successfully so maybe work out for ya...

I woke up today over it. Lol I think I was just bored and wanted something to take apart and tinker with.

I agree with this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ya. Was just bored wanted to take apart something.

So I opened grannys old grandfather clock and took all the gears and springs out at 2AM and put it back together. Til I got sleepy at 5am. Lol night owl.

I'm over this idea. I'll just wait til all my stuff is over with and get the IM lagoon 25 for xmas. I'll tell my wife and kids that's what I want. Instead of the more expensive shoes they buy me every year lol

Edited by Joshifer

I'm always wanting to mess with tanks, drill them, make my own overflows and baffles, strip the sealant and re-do it, take apart old tanks for the glass, etc.

Oh, if you need glass for a project, getting a tank during that sale might be a cheaper way of getting glass. I bought a couple 10gs during one of those sales, just so I could take them apart.  

I'm always wanting to mess with tanks, drill them, make my own overflows and baffles, strip the sealant and re-do it, take apart old tanks for the glass, etc.

Oh, if you need glass for a project, getting a tank during that sale might be a cheaper way of getting glass. I bought a couple 10gs during one of those sales, just so I could take them apart.

I actually made a deal. Trading my light for a IM Nuvo 20. Or 25 I don't remember. And a smaller AI light. So I don't need this anymore lol. Wanna buy a fluval edge. Lol

That's a great idea with the buying tanks just for glass. As I paid a lot for my baffles with smooth edges. Now given it was 3/8" thick but wasn't cheap.