Instant ocean vs instant ocean reef crystals.

Joshifer

Need to buy some salt soon.

What's the difference. Between the powder and the crystals?

I assumed "reefs crystals" have more trace elements for coral.

Is too much trace elements in a tiny system a bad thing?

As in accelerates nuisance algae growth.

Edited by Joshifer

Need to buy some salt soon.

What's the difference. Between the powder and the crystals?

I assumed "reefs crystals" have more trace elements for coral.

Is too much trace elements in a tiny system a bad thing?

As in accelerates nuisance algae growth.

Reef Crystals (RC)  is a brand name. It's made by United Pet Group/Marineland, makers of (drum roll please) Instant Ocean (IO).  RC mixes up to higher magnesium, calcium and alkalinity than IO. These are the "big three" for reef tanks. However, if you read the label carefully, I think that it takes a tiny bit more RC than IO to mix up to 1.0264 sg. RC's label shows how much to use to get to a salinty of 1.021, while IO's shows a salinity reference of 1.022. You use more of each to get to 1.0264 (i.e. 35 ppt), but just slightly more RC than IO. 

Don't get too concerned over trace elements. They'll be largely replenished with water changes and really aren't a "bad thing." 

Reef Crystals (RC) is a brand name. It's made by United Pet Group/Marineland, makers of (drum roll please) Instant Ocean (IO). RC mixes up to higher magnesium, calcium and alkalinity than IO. These are the "big three" for reef tanks. However, if you read the label carefully, I think that it takes a tiny bit more RC than IO to mix up to 1.0264 sg. RC's label shows how much to use to get to a salinty of 1.021, while IO's shows a salinity reference of 1.022. You use more of each to get to 1.0264 (i.e. 35 ppt), but just slightly more RC than IO.

Don't get too concerned over trace elements. They'll be largely replenished with water changes and really aren't a "bad thing."

So should I get RC now that I have a frogspawn. Or stick to the powder? Tomorrows my water change day.

I don't have cal mag etc test kits. Need to get one. But paid the rent today lol

So should I get RC now that I have a frogspawn. Or stick to the powder? Tomorrows my water change day.

I don't have cal mag etc test kits. Need to get one. But paid the rent today lol

What do you mean, "stick to the powder?" They're all basically powders or mixtures. Reef Crystals is a brand name. It's not intended to be descriptive of the form of the product. (Although, strictly speaking, most of all the products will have a large content of "crystals" - just like table salt is in crystalline form.) 

If your not planning on SPS and only doing LPS, do waste the $$ and just get the regular IO salt. No need for RC

I agree with Eric. Don't give it to much though just do your water changes and sit back and enjoy your reef.