pH

Joshifer

Just did a check. Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5. Clean up crew been in there a few days everything's doing great. No fish yet. But lots of snail poop. Lol

My pH however is at 8.0. And it's day time. I know not to chase the pH cus I might crash it. But should I be concerned ?

6 gallon. 6.5lb rock. 10lbs argonite sand.

Ugh I'm so dumb. Lights were off. That's why it's low. I'm keeping the lights off so I don't grow algae. Plus theirs nothing to look at in there. Lol delete this its just clutter. Thanks

No it's fine. In fact mine goes 7.8-8.0. How you measuring? If you're using that API test kit I've seen in your pics, I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Yeah I'm using api. I know it's not the greatest. Later when I start with corals I'll get a better one that measures other things. But the lights were off so that's why it's low. And the tank doesn't get natural sunlight where it's at

Remember that as long as your parameters aren't too far from recommend levels than you're fine. Stability is more critical than constant tweaking to meet certain levels.

Yeah I'm afraid to tweak it. The only thing I'm really gonna monitor is the nitrates. Non chemically. Just water changes. I'm afraid of crashing. I'll let nature do the rest.

Unless pH dips below 7.5 (using a calibrated standard), I wouldn't be concerned in a reef tank. Relax on pH. You're really unlikely to discover a problem from a pH test. The condition and behavior of your livestock will tell you more about the health of your tank than a pH test kit will.