Cracked Skimmer Body

lmeyer

I should never underestimate my ability to make a bad situation worse.

I was changing the uniseals on my GSA standard 8 (http://wamas.org/forums/topic/79326-uniseal-replacement/)

I was having trouble getting the union to turn so that I could remove the water outlet pipe.  While trying to turn it, I managed to crack the skimmer body.  

Is the skimmer toast?  Can it be repaired?

And yes, the union is still stuck together!

I would drill out the ends of the cracks and then just fill it in with weldon and some epoxy perhaps. Cracks will continue to spread unless you stop the crack itself. All of this depends, of course, on location and severity of the crack, got a picture?

Share a picture of it with the crack... Depending on where it's at you may be able to use some silicone or another sealent... But depends on where it is..

I tried, but I can't seem to upload a picture any longer.  It wasn't a very good picture anyway.  The crack starts at the drilled hole for the uniseal and is a fairly straight line for about 2 inches.

larry- how did the rebuild turn out after the big fire?

The rebuild was fine.  Things were going okay until the seals gave on my hammerhead running the closed loop while we were asleep (about a month ago).  I came downstairs to a tank with virtually no water.  Trying to recover (yet again).

You may be able to seal the crack with a little Weldon 4. You'll need a syringe or an applicator. It should draw into the crack (capillary action) and weld the seam together.