Uniseal Replacement

lmeyer

I have an old GSA Standard 8.  I have never replaced the uniseals, but one is leaking.  I saw on another post that they should be replaced every 18 months.  I bought the replacement seals from BRS and am ready to replace all of them.

When I removed the old uniseal on the water inlet, it had a rubber o-ring between the outside of the skimmer body and the uniseal.  The replacement uniseals did not have any o-rings.  Should I use the o-ring on the replacement or leave it off?  Do I need any sealant for the uniseal?  Any other hints?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what the o-ring was about. Uniseals don't need o-rings. They are a friction-fit device that compresses around the PVC pipe. You will likely need to lube the pipe (with silicone o-ring grease or a soapy solution) and the uniseal when you go back to fit the assembly back together. 

I don't know why they would have had an o-ring as that is not normal.

It's best to place the new uniseal in hot, almost boiling water, for about five or so minutes to soften it up. The best lube is regular vegetable oil which is safer for the tank than soaps or silicone and the skimmer will easily remove it.

Yeah, soap's a lousy idea (especially a detergent) unless you really clean the seal off after installation.