Where's the Southdown

Guest reeftanklfs

Guest reeftanklfs

Hi guys:

Okay, who knows where the Southdown (actually Oldcastle now) playsand is being sold here in VA or MD?  Or does anyone know where that thread is about southdown (I believe it's called everything you wanted to know about southdown)?  We've been trying to search on RC, but the search function is down, typical of RC.

One place I know of that stocks it is the Home Depot in Fredricksburg.  It is right off of 95 at Rt. 3.  It's been last summer since I've actually been in there, but they have had it everytime I go in there.  Out of the list I have Fair Lakes is right around the corner for you guys.

Here is some info I had on the Southdown, I'm not sure if they changed the SKU, UPC or Model now that they call it Oldcastle... but here is the old info along with places it had been sighted locally.

SKU# 578-819

UPC code: 0-210026-16865-5

Model# 420-100

Baltimore, MD

Germantown MD

Rockville, MD

Annapolis, MD

Ellicott City, MD

Fredricksburg, VA

Springfield, VA

Fairfax, VA outside the D.C. beltway, on Merrifield Rd

Fair Lakes, VA

Guest Ruh Roh
Also in Merrifield (near Vienna), on Lee Highway, its called "Tropical Play Sand" indeed sold by OldCastle. Its a clear bag with blue and red writing on it. I picked up some a couple months ago so I know its there in Outdoor garden area.

Guest reeftanklfs

Hi guys:

I guess we forgot to mention in the beginning that all the HD's in the immediate area (Fredburg doesn't count) do not carry this product anymore.  We used to get it at the Merrifield HD all the time.  We've been to the 4 HD's, today, that normally have it, without any success.  HD says that it no longer does business with Oldcastle.  What we're looking for is a phone # for Southdown/Oldcastle.  I know it's in that aforementioned thread on RC, but their search function is still down.  Hopefully somebody in the area picks up where HD left off or we're all going to be paying a lot more for aragonite sand.

Guest reeftanklfs

Hi guys:

As we stated before, HD does not carry Oldcastle products anymore (as of 1 Jan. 04).  If any HD's still have some of the playsand, that's the last of it.  We just called Oldcastle this a.m., all this was confirmed by them.  Don't panic yet.  Fortunately, there are a few (literally) businesses in the local area that order from Oldcastle.  We're going to approach them to see if they would be willing to carry the sand regularly.  Wish us luck.

Yes, we did think about ordering direct from Oldcastle, but the minimum order is by the half trailer load.  NOt going to happen with us, yet.

I have been considering a pallet while reworking my systems.

Let me know how your dealings going, although I may not put a DSB back into the 300 which drops me closer to half a pallet. We shall see.

Guest Ruh Roh
well shoot... they had a full pallet at the merrifield one not 3 months ago, I'll go look again tonight I guess.. :(

When i do a search on "Tropical play sand" i also see Yard right sand which states it is sterile Carribean sand ... does any one know this product or have used it? I will need sand very soon and am now worried because home depot does not carry it any more rk . does Lowes carry any thing? G

Believe it or not I found some last summer at Toys R Us in McLane/Tyson Corner area.  The Toys R Us just on route 7 near intersection with 123 in McLane/Tyson Corner Area.  They sell sand for the kids sand boxes.  Give it a try and let us know if they still carry it.

Jacob

• 4 weeks later...

Any luck on this. Darn, shound have stockpiled it the last time i set up

the 120G.

I went to Sterling HD yesterday and they no longer carry the goody.

I need some to setup a 45 and a 75. The 45 may not be a problem, i might

be able to slowly scavange from my 120, which has over 5" deep bed .

But i do need to get a few bags.

-krish

i was at the wall mart in manassas and they have play sand by oldcastle. i still havnt done the test to see if it silica based yet but will attempt today. it is white also. but doesnt say silica free. ill post when i find out. G

Guest mikesroth

I tried the HD by Roozens yesterday.  They have this sand that they call 'Tropical Play Sand' but it is call 'Fantasy Sand'.  I brought it home and tried the 'vinegar' test on it and it was a no go. :(  Which stinks cause they had a ton of that sand.  It is coming from some place in Deleware.  I guess I am off to try this sand made by "Old Castle" from Walmart.  The bad isn't the same as is described by all the notes, just says Play Sand on it, and in a tiny corner there is Manufactured for Walmart by Old Castle.... So her goes another $4.....

By the way, what do I do with bags that aren't any good?

Guest mikesroth
Ok, went on a day long "Sand Hunt".  I was amazed at how many places had open bags of sand. :D So we bought a bottle of vinegar and did some in the field testing.  The stuff at Wal-mart, though made by Old Castle, not foamy reaction.  We tried a couple of other hardware stores, that Desert Sand at Home Depot and those were all no gos... Went down to Homestead Gardens and they had nice looking sand, but got no reaction from them either.  Last place I tried had one 'open' bag of "Country Boy Sand".  This seemed to react to the vinegar.  I didnt get it as it was the ONLY bag they had and it was ripped WIDE open.  I talked to the manager and she said that she could probably order more.  I was hoping that someone else lived near Broadneck and could check out the nursery there, that knows what to look for in the 'vinegar' test.  It seemed oceany, as it had a few small shells in it, and didnt seem as 'sparkley' as the other silica sands.

Thanks Mike,

For your Sand patrol efforts.

Please keep us posted if you do zero in on a potential candidate.

May be if there are sufficient takers, it might be possible to order

a pallet from SouthDown, easton ,PA and split. Don't know if that

is a possibility.

Anyone got a garage with a fork lift :)

-krish

Lee, you mean the HD near Rt29 and Fairfax County (7100) ???

I've seen it there MANY times.  In the outside garden center WAY WAY in the Back on the Right.

Lee,

November is historic.

Sightings have been reported as of a January/Feb this year.

But right now, looks like the stocks have been depleted and

HD has chosen to switchover to a different brand.

If there is a HD somewhere in the boonies that still has some old stock

left, we are in luck.

But since it is spring and most folks are setting up the kids play area,

i guess the chances of finding old stock are remote.

-krish:(

Guest mikesroth
Ok this will sound a bit silly, but.... Can someone give me the names for some other Webforums?  I swear I saw something on Country Boy sand a few weeks ago.... but I can't remember where and what.  I have checked ReefCentral and Nano-reefs, but I can't remember what other sites there could be... (Ok doesn't help that I am a bad boy and doing this from work and home... :p )

reefs.org

reefcentral.com

wetwebmedia.com

Hope that helps on the quest.

Guest mikesroth
Thanks Michael, but No. :(  Darnit I know I saw something on Country Boy.... I know it... I am not going crazy.... :0