CLOSED (have started a new tank) NEW 29 Gallon LED Setup

Regarding Q1: Amazon lists the salt and states (in the product description) that 380g will salt 10 liters of water up to 1.024 sg.  That sg correlates to just about 32 ppt salinity. If you're targeting 35 ppt (or 1.0264 sg) then the amount of salt required for 10 liters of saltwater will be increased linearly to 416 grams. 10 liters is 2.64 gallons. So, according to this label, you need 157 grams (about 5.5 ounces) of salt mix to make up 1 gallon of salt water to 35 ppt salinity.

So now, all you need is the ability to weigh some reference volume of salt (such as a half-cup). Maybe a postal scale? (Be sure to remove the weight of whatever measuring cup you're using.)

Tom, 

You are a math wiz!!! Thank you! I shall use the kitchen scale (don't tell the spouse) and shall report back!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some nighttime pics

c0d62a43c589329262914d3d9e4230f0.jpg

bc706fa7ba973c7cb1140cef33f9b4ee.jpg

7bca8fc3871855e5305799eaeb1c2116.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's that last coral? It looks like stars

What's that last coral? It looks like stars

It is a Birds Nest SPS. It gets great extension at night.

It is a Birds Nest SPS. It gets great extension at night.

Wowww I can't even see the branches

Ever since I started using the Aquaforest probiotic reef salt, my skimmer has been pulling black gunk.

3bad73562e5479525305fc7e703f1338.jpg

Good or bad?

In the mean time, here are some pics from this morning.

The hammer coral is VERY happy with lots of plump extension. Does anyone know what the bubble in the middle is?

a967bcbdb7d4c51311679782fb295ef1.jpg

Also, here is a daytime pic of the birds nest. So much polyp extension. I ordered some coral food for the corals from aquaforest. Anxiously waiting for that the arrive.

860769ad7daea920185d299e7faf7f5e.jpg

I got this monti frag and the middle seems to have died but the edges are encrusting nicely on the rock, on all sides of the plug.

83b181721f65130605d8479bdbc21f5f.jpg

Not familiar with that salt, but looks like it's pulling something out of the water. I was noticing the drain tube on the skimmer cup isn't capped. Is this how you run it? Is it dripping skimmate back into the sump?

I've had hammers do the bubble thing. Some people suggested it might be splitting. Either way, they just disappeared for me and everything went back to normal.

If you add coral food do it lightly. It can add a ton of nutrients to your tank.

Not familiar with that salt, but looks like it's pulling something out of the water. I was noticing the drain tube on the skimmer cup isn't capped. Is this how you run it? Is it dripping skimmate back into the sump?

I've had hammers do the bubble thing. Some people suggested it might be splitting. Either way, they just disappeared for me and everything went back to normal.

If you add coral food do it lightly. It can add a ton of nutrients to your tank.

Good eye! I usually take it off to clean the cup. I must have forgotten to put it back on. Does anyone drain that to another bucket?

The hammer looks happy. Maybe it will split. The more the merrier!

Rescued this poor buddy from a well known Pet (where the pets go...) store today, I hope he makes it.

140e0a27ba504e1d29abbfdd80302118.jpg

Need HELP, please!

The rescue sail fin tang is doing so much better in my tank, however I can't get him to eat seaweed. If I put a clip of seaweed in the tank, they get all scared and hide and no one will come even close to it. 

However, when it is the feeding time, everyone goes insane for the food, but the sail fin will only nibble at stuff and swim around. 

Is there a way to encourage him to eat? Maybe I should change foods. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

It was so great seeing old friends and making new friends at the social yesterday! Thanks everyone for putting this event together!

I also got a chance to get some new corals.

Here are some of what I brought home with me. My blue lights are murdering some of the bright purples but oh well. 

8afc0ffb9b89e157178efc68325a8f15.jpg

d3d15124d826c76ab4438ae650603c95.jpg

aaa2d5c1f9c670789bb978c10d49fe66.jpg

Edited by Reefoholic

Today's test readings are as follow below. I am not sure if I should be concerned about the 0.2 Ammonia and 0.2 Nitrate...

Phosphate   PH    Alk         Ammonia    Nitrite Nitrate

0.00             8.2    8/dKH.   0.2            0.0      0.2

Also, I realized that my calcium test is way old now and ordered a new one from Amazon. 

I also ordered some Garlic additive to add to the fish food and see how the rescue sail fin will respond. 

Edited by Reefoholic

• 3 weeks later...

Garlic might be too strong for the fishes; since the hippo tang got a little white dots for about 6 hours after feeding it the reef frenzy food soaked in garlic. 

The rescue Sailfin tang is doing so much better, and its fins are growing back, slowly but surely. I might switch to a twice a day feeding regiment just to get the fishes beefed up.  :ph34r: 

My 8 year old clown passed away last friday. I got two maroon clowns to replace him. Now hopefully getting a nem to give them a cozy home. 

Update time:

I got this RBTA from another member on here and the maroon clowns are LOVING it. I dunno how to post a video here but as soon as I figure that out, I will post one.

(edited)

What a pleasant surprise. My domino damsel is sharing the RBTA with two maroon clowns. One big happy family :)

1201a32fdccb1aaf6cbe5eef5e477be4.jpg

bd56ac0dde2384f83b7de7cc3e6b0d4f.jpg

Edited by Reefoholic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I have been crazy busy with work and life and wasn’t able to update my tank thread here.

Everything in the tank is doing fine. Unfortunately, I lost all the SPS I put in the tank and I am not getting much coreline algae. Maybe I should start dosing something.

The anemone is happy with its inhabitants. Also, there is a happy Duncan addition to the tank.

My hammer coral has retrieved into its shell for some reason but looking forward for it to extend soon. Any ideas why this could be?

I do water changes every week. At least 5gal at a time. I use the aquaforest reef salt. I think I have gotten better results from red sea salt before.

Algae Update:

Some bubble algae must have hitchhiked into the tank. I have a small patch where the frag plug used to be. In order to combat with that, I increased number of my cleaning crew (hermit crabs, shrimp, and two emerald crabs)

Here are some pics:

e95e55bb1c4b9e32a3c67b0c7d5a522e.jpg

35c3e7d2d0f102202b148d7c054aca2c.jpg

d22d953075cf084b524e25fdefb087db.jpg

9d0d1a12ce012efe034fe4f88b12a051.jpg

One of the crabs was found dead this morning. Should I be suspicious? Need to check for something?

One of the crabs was found dead this morning. Should I be suspicious? Need to check for something?

Of course you should be suspicious. There's been a MURDER!

I suspect the Sailfin, in the library, with the candlestick.

That's what I thought. But it had to have been the ghost of the sailfin since she didn't make it to full recovery.