Struggle with diatom and confused

rockstarta78

So I've been battling diatom bloom lately. Did a 50% water change on Wednesday. Ran a test to see where everything is. Here's the result

pH: 8

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm (this is the odd one, I'm so confused)

Alk: 10dkh

I don't have phosphate tester. I know I need to invest on a henna Checker. My tests were all done using an api test kit.

Any help you can provide as to why I'm battling diatom if really appreciate that.

Nvm saw u wrote api they are not that accurate i used them when I first bagan trust me they are on point get something from red sea or salifert

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Nvm saw u wrote api they are not that accurate i used them when I first bagan trust me they are on point get something from red sea or salifert

I'm thinking about investing on a better test kit. Also need to buy the Hannah Checker.

Silicates may be an issue as well; when was the last time your DI resin was changed?

Di resin was changed about a month ago. My water pressure is at 50psi, so it depletes pretty quickly. I changed my powerhead placement. How that'll make a difference. Hate this ugliness.

Are you sure it's diatoms? Usually this is due to excess silicates either from being a new tank, not using RODI, or old bulbs. I had what I thought were diatoms after about a year in. I was using LEDs, and always used RODI. Couldn't find any help. Turns out they were dinos, not diatoms, and am battling them now.

If they are really diatoms, I think vivid aquariums used bakers yeast to combat it:

https://www.facebook.com/REEF2REEF/videos/vb.341407129805/10154278463269806/?type=2&theater

That's good to hear test kits will be your best friends in this hobby,madwaezel brought up a good point do you use rodi water?

Are you sure it's diatoms? Usually this is due to excess silicates either from being a new tank, not using RODI, or old bulbs. I had what I thought were diatoms after about a year in. I was using LEDs, and always used RODI. Couldn't find any help. Turns out they were dinos, not diatoms, and am battling them now.

If they are really diatoms, I think vivid aquariums used bakers yeast to combat it:

https://www.facebook.com/REEF2REEF/videos/vb.341407129805/10154278463269806/?type=2&theater

Well that's a good question. But gets the kicker, if I somewhat blow the sand, it goes away. And there are no hair like strands. Wouldn't dino have stands?

That's good to hear test kits will be your best friends in this hobby,madwaezel brought up a good point do you use rodi water?

I do use rodi. Which one would you say is a all around good testing kit? Red sea? Or salifert?

I use a Hanna Checker ULR Phosphorous, but it won't help you with your problem. Elevated phosphate levels usually will lead to hair algae problems, not diatoms or dinos. Dinos in their early stages look like diatoms. One definite way to tell is through a microscope. There are guys on R2R that you can send a sample to and they will id it for you. A more basic way is to siphon off some water, pass it through a paper towel, then shake the water. Dinos will clump back together after a time:

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/helpful-method-for-identifying-dinoflagellates.216508/

My two cents on test kits. Get whatever kit is easiest to use and reputable. API is fine. Accuracy is not an issue since you are looking for ballpark readings. Whether you calcium is exactly 420 or 410 is no big deal. Same for phosphate, silicate, nitrate, etc... You just want to know if they are elevated and in a danger range. For reef setups, any reading above zero bothers me...

My two cents on test kits. Get whatever kit is easiest to use and reputable. API is fine. Accuracy is not an issue since you are looking for ballpark readings. Whether you calcium is exactly 420 or 410 is no big deal. Same for phosphate, silicate, nitrate, etc... You just want to know if they are elevated and in a danger range. For reef setups, any reading above zero bothers me...

I need to do some research. I think I'll get a mixed of red sea and selifert test kits.

I am experiencing a lingering diatom bloom.  It happened about a year ago and continues.  Each day the sandbed turns orange and each evening it goes away.  It doesn't seem to affect much.  I did carbon dosing for a while but all it did was start killing my corals.  I guess it's possible that it's actually dinoflagellates, but if it is, they aren't affecting much, except maybe the sea cucumbers that used to live in my tank and no longer seem to turn over the sand.

Point is, I wouldn't stress too much about it if you are doing RO/DI water and using a good mix and doing good nutrient export.  Test kits can't hurt, but in my experience diatoms don't really hurt much.