Modify sump

edress714

So I got this sump but it originally was a wet to dry sump. the guy had the skimmer on the right and that's it. I want to put a refugium in there. I can't figure out how to modify it. any thoughts on how I could do it?

can it go refugium into skimmer back into tank? or is it skimmer first then water goes to refugium back to tank? thanks!

20160615_064934_zpspahv0rf2.jpg

If you have a table saw, you could simply cut the top portion where the drip tray was completely off so it is level with the return chamber. The order of the refugium and skimmer dont particularly matter however, it is typically best placed in a separate chamber from the return pump so the microbubbles have a chance to dissipate before making their way back up to the display.  

having the skimmer in the same section as the return pump is going to give you issues. I would chop the top and put the skimmer in the first section and return pump in the second. Or rig up some cool turf scrubber design using the bio ball section and skipping the skimmer all together.

Imy going to see if I can possible make three compartments. that would be ideal. anyone use this sump before?

having the skimmer in the same section as the return pump is going to give you issues. I would chop the top and put the skimmer in the first section and return pump in the second. Or rig up some cool turf scrubber design using the bio ball section and skipping the skimmer all together.

Changing water level is certainly a factor. 

its too small of a sump to effectively use it with a skimmer and a fuge. maybe if you got one of those HOG algae reactors, you could use it in the bio-ball section. We use these sumps and cram a skimmer and the return pump and an ATO sensor inside. IT's a tight fit, but it will work.