Ick and Marine Velvet

WCorbin82

so sad today smh. I believe I have a case of Ick and Velvet. Last month I lost a Blonde Naso tang to what I believe is ick, last Saturday I lost a powder blue tang which I believe is Ick also. This morning I lost an engineer goby, neon dotty back and onyx clown fish. The clown fish had a cotton like coating over him which looks like velvet. What do I do to save the other remaining fish and how do I do it? What meds you recommend I'm sure I have to catch them all and place in a QT tank. I just need some direction thanks WAMAS. And I will never place fish without QT fish NEVER again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about your fish...check this link out. Never trust any one when it comes to buying fish from online or local stores...best route imo is to prophylactically treat all the new fish before putting them into your DT. Prazipro, Maracyn 2 and Chloroquine phosphate worked great for me. The mistake I made was I tried to QT lot of fish at the same time...in the process lost quite a few...but its all lessons learned at the end of the day. Good luck!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

Sorry about your fish...check this link out. Never trust any one when it comes to buying fish from online or local stores...best route imo is to prophylactically treat all the new fish before putting them into your DT. Prazipro, Maracyn 2 and Chloroquine phosphate worked great for me. The mistake I made was I tried to QT lot of fish at the same time...in the process lost quite a few...but its all lessons learned at the end of the day. Good luck!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

Ok thanks I will check this link out for sure

Monkiboy should be able to give you some good advice here. Hit him up.

Monkiboy should be able to give you some good advice here. Hit him up.

Ok I will inbox him

If it's velvet, your fish are probably dead by now. A positive ID is the first step. +1 on monkiboy knowing a thing or two.

it sounds like you may very well be dealing with multiple issues of which ich, velvet, brook are all possibilities given the symptoms and circumstances presented.

acting now, not later, is critical for optimal chances of success. if there are any surviving fish, you need to needs to treat all using this protocol (look @ "the short version"): http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437

for the highest chances of success give all remaining fish a freshwater + formalin or acriflavine bath. this is absolutely imperative BEFORE they get placed in a hospital tank where you will use copper or CP. by doing so, this will clear the fish of brook and provide temporary relief for velvet, so the fish at least has a fighting chance of surviving copper treatment.

your tank will need to remain fallow for at least 76 days given we are not 100% about diagnosis and have to assume the longest parasite lifecycle. make sure your treatment and quarantine tank(s) are at least 10 feet away from your DT to avoid contamination via aerosol. do not use any ammonia reducers (prime/amquel) while using copper treatment. if using cupramine use the matching multi-test test kit. grab an ammonia alert badge and keep up on water quality via water changes while your qt/hospital tank cycles if not set up already. keep the surface of the water well agitated for optimal oxygenation and gas exchange.

sorry to hear about the losses, I know from experience and from working with so many on this board, how heart wrenching it can be. i am glad you came forward for assistance and have resolved to set up your own quarantine protocol. I am obviously a huge proponent of prophylaxis and proper quarantine/treatment so if you need further support now or down the line when your tank is ready for fish properly handled and quarantined, feel free to PM me and I'm always glad to help when I can, sir.

g'luck!