Moving across country ...what to do with live rock?

Fireman12s

Hi all, 

I'll be moving across the country soon, and the movers will be here on Tuesday and Wed to pack all my stuff.  I've decided to take my tank with me, so, I'll be taking my live rock with me.  The thing is, the live rock will be stored for about a month before I can get it back into any sort of tank.  So, what do I do with it?  How do I store it. I want to keep it, as it is some darn nice rock.. but, I am afraid of ruining it.  Need help quick, breaking down tank today

B

^this or put it in a brute trash can on wheels with water and make sure to aerate/maintain water flow.

It sounds like you are not keeping any other livestock though, so easiest thing would be what eric suggested.

I just moved my tank across country, if you aren't going to start it up right away best to start over like they said. I had my tank drained and little more than a third and ran the refugium light on the tank and a small pump and heater off a inverter to keep everything alive, only lost a few zoas!

Good luck with your move.

I would let it dry out and reseed it.  I'll bet it will take you longer than you think to get a new tank set up, with all the other things you have to do when moving house.

I kept the live rock from my old tank because I thought I'd be restarting soon.  It's three years later, and my tank still isn't ready.

The rock spent the first year in a Rubbermaid stock tank in Roni's basement.  (What an awesome guy!!)  It's been in my basement for another two years.  I don't want to think how much I've spent on that rock, keeping it warm and aerated for three years. 

It sounds like you can't get to it for a month? Just make sure it's completely dry before storage or the odor will get bad