Good refugium light?

PupChow

My refugium light just quitted on me (MicMol Aqua Mini), what are some good options for a tight space?  I'm trying to light a small refugium 10"x10"x12" and mainly trying to grow chaeto in there.  Since the sump is in a cabinet the space is pretty humid and gets salt creep sometimes, I think that's what did my Aqua Mini in.

Thanks guys!

You could always go with a 10w LED "flood light." They sell tons of them on eBay and probably amazon as well.

Sent using my Windows Phone.

Lots of people use compact fluorescent lights and a clip-on shop light. That's what I used.  The bulbs didn't last that long because they aren't intended to be turned on for 12 hours at a time like I was doing, I guess. The bases would quickly turn yellow and brittle.  I think ERC was selling some screw-in LED PAR38 grow lights at one time, also.

Thanks guys!  I'm looking into these LED grow bulbs to see which would fit best in the sump's space. For the housing, do I need to specifically buy a waterproof / outdoor one?  is there such thing?

I just used a cheap waterproof light socket, and am hanging the bulb bare over the fuge.

Finnex planted plus 24/7 is where its at.  I have one on each of my tanks are they work awesome! about the same as a cree 100w equiv daylight bulb and clamp lamp but not super bulkey.  And they are super low profile so you can mount them on the roof of your stand.  

Thanks, I will go with the LED bulb + either a clamp lamp or a socket. Question -- is there any concern for water splash if I use the clamp lamp?  My biggest fear is it starting a fire, is that even possible?  

I am also looking into a waterproof socket that I could just hang from the top of the sump, but I am having trouble finding one on Amazon. I will drive to a Home Depot to see if they have either in store.

Thanks, I will go with the LED bulb + either a clamp lamp or a socket. Question -- is there any concern for water splash if I use the clamp lamp? My biggest fear is it starting a fire, is that even possible?

I am also looking into a waterproof socket that I could just hang from the top of the sump, but I am having trouble finding one on Amazon. I will drive to a Home Depot to see if they have either in store.

I actually didn't think that much...but you do have a good point...so far no issues with my setup. Keep me posted of you find some waterproof socket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Probably too late, but I used one like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Weatherproof-Socket-Black-R60-00055-000/100356874.  I would strongly suggest soldering the connection to the cord and covering it with shrink tubing, rather than just using wire nuts.