What to do with Chi tank

treesprite

(edited)

I found this Fluval Chi tank, just the tank itself, at the thrift store for 3.99. I have been trying to figure out what to do with it, looking for suggestions. I think it's about 10wx12h.

I messed up the corner banging it as I was going through the door, but the location makes me think I can just put silicone on it and not have any problem with it. It's too dirty to tell if there are scratches right now (some of what I thought were scratches went away when I wiped them with my finger).

tmp_29860-IMG_20160507_030601-1235289575

I really don't understand these thrift stores. They pretty much always sell battered used dirty 10 gal tanks for $20, yet had the completely unscratched Aquapod I bought for $20, and this thing for 3.99. Once they had a 180 (think it was 180, was 5ft long) for $159 and the front glass had a crack in it several inches long (I wonder what happened to it, because it isn't there anymore and I can't imagine someone buying it).

Any ideas on what to do with this little tank, without having the other parts?

Edited by treesprite

Wondering if there are any non-livestock uses for it. I really like picos, but I wouldn't be able to go on any overnight trips without a babysitter for it.

(edited)

Could do some sponges or pretty algaes. But if you mean no living things you could make a little beach scene with some sand and shells.

Edited by Squishie89

A nice macro algae tank would be good for something that could go a few days. "Almost" like a pest tank, but just a bunch of very hearty, pretty stuff. Like Squishie said, maybe get some hitchhiker sponges. Just get an Aquaclear hob, stick a little heater in it and some kind of light and you're good to go. 

Another idea would be to do some caulerpa prolifera or other seagrass lookin' thing, with a rock and a mangrove right in the middle. Would be neat looking in that tall shape at least and different. 

Would also make a nice moss or succulent terrarium if you wanted to skip the saltwater route altogether (but who would do that  :rolleyes: ).

Someone's pet reptile probably got a nice home from that cracked 180.