Ever see a 40 year old tank leg?

paul b

This is a galvanized piece of "Kindorf" which we use in the construction trade for just about everything. It is one of 4 that has been holding up my reef for almost 40 years. I added that leg next to it to hold up the weight because I was afraid to remove it. I did this to two of the legs so far.

2015-06-18%2009.17.25_zpsegjv7o5x.jpg

Careful he will put it in his reef

It's probably already there, free GFO.

Just speaking to the chemistry of it - ferric oxide (Fe2O3) is rust. (It's the 3+ species of iron versus the 2+, or ferrous, species.) The granular nature of GFO may provide some advantages - that is, it's less likely to get dumped in large amounts in to your tank as ferric oxide dust (but some will get there from abrading action in fluidized reactors depending upon how aggressively it's tumbled). 

Yeah I always thought rust was bad for the tank

You would be thinking wrong. Tom is correct, some rust is actually good but don't put the right front fender from a 1957 Oldsmobile in your 40 gallon tank. That may not be good.

If you dive and you see a sunken steel ship. there will be more coral growing on the steel than the surrounding rocks. The corals know what they like. If there is anything you want to know about corals or fish, go diving with that creature and see how it makes it's living.  :cool:

You would be thinking wrong. Tom is correct, some rust is actually good but don't put the right front fender from a 1957 Oldsmobile in your 40 gallon tank. That may not be good.

If you dive and you see a sunken steel ship. there will be more coral growing on the steel than the surrounding rocks. The corals know what they like. If there is anything you want to know about corals or fish, go diving with that creature and see how it makes it's living.  :cool:

Amazing