Diatoms or something else?

cpu933k

Tank is just over 1 year old, but have been battling what I think are diatoms for 3-4 months now.

75 g DT, 20 g sump

Caribsea fiji pink dry sand

BRS Ecosaver dry rock

Nitrates are < 1 ppm

phosphates are generally around .03 ppm (between 6-12 ppb Hanna ULR)

silicates are 0 ppm

RLSS r6i skimmer

Waveline DC6000 return pump

Buildmyled 20,000k LEDs, on a 10 hour lighting schedule

I feed some NLS pellets in the am and 1 cube of mysis and some blackworms in the evening. I have a 100 micron filter sock leading into the sump and change it out and empty the skimmer cup every 2-3 days. Skimmate is pretty dark green/black, but cup is not more than 1/4 full when I empty it.

I'm running GFO, but doesn't really seem to be doing much. I tried both Phosban and BRS high capacity GFO and din't notice much difference. Tried chaeto in the fuge, but also really didn't grow much. I'm also running ROx carbon. Using RODI, TDS of 0. Do 20% weekly water changes. Scrub the rocks every now and then when I can't bear to look at the rust colored stuff all over it. Will lightly stir up the sand bed every few days as well. I also tried PhosphateRx twice, but it didn't lead to any decrease in phosphate levels. What am I dealing with and how do I win this battle?

25611974450_cf8c46aedc_c.jpg

25611974350_74817e36ea_c.jpg

25611974260_9154eb5a89_c.jpg

25817607191_ff0ba677cb_c.jpg

25611973390_5785eb3769_c.jpg

Looks like diatoms to me. First thing that comes to mind is lights, how often do you water change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

It's driving me crazy. I scrubbed the rocks and they looked great, only to return a day later. Same with the sand. I don't even know what I am battling here - diatoms, cyano, dinos? I had cyano in my sump and it was pretty red and snotty, so I don't think this is cyano in the DT, but could be wrong. Everything I've read about diatoms has to do with new tanks or not using RODI and usually people say wait it out and it will clear up in a few weeks. This tank is over a year old and I have been battling this for months. Haven't added any new rock or sand, have always used RODI, TDS is 0, silicates of RODI water and newly made saltwater both measure 0 as does the tank water. I use LEDs and the lights are about a year old, so not due to light bulbs. Have been running GFO for half a year, tried chaeto for a few months and while it stayed alive, it wasn't really growing. Any other ideas on what I'm battling and how to conquer this?

Edited by cpu933k

Ha, yeah I'm trying everything. I'm already on the waitlist for Turbo's new ATS, but it may be a while for that.

ATS' are super simple to build. A visit to Home Depot and 2 hours later you are up and running.

Do you have any simple designs you can share? I started looking into it, but it became too daunting and would rather just purchase one premade. But if there's an easy way of doing it, I may try to make one.

But again, I'm not even sure it would help me with my current issue.

Super easy. Just get the following from home depot, all 3/4" fittings

8ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe (you will cut it, cheaper than buying those smaller pieces)

2 90s slip to slip

2 90s slip to thread

2 3/4" to 1/2" ID barbed to thread fittings (plastic) (to fit in the 90s)

2 end caps

2 3-way tee splitter

2 quick disconnects

1 small pump (I use a small rio pump) http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Plus-600-Aqua-Pump/dp/B0017JJMUW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1458761856&sr=8-7&keywords=rio+pump

3ft of 1/2" ID tubing

1 3 way 1/2" barbed fitting (barb/barb/barb)

1 (or 2 if you can do both sides) cheap shop light

1 2700k CFL bulb 100 watt equivalent

PVC glue pack (glue/primer)

pack of zip ties

1 piece of needlepoint plastic http://www.amazon.com/Darice-Plastic-Canvas-Clear-12-Pack/dp/B00DV68A9I?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

You need to cut a slit in the 3/4" PVC that will receive the algae sheet. Attach this with 3 zip ties. Use a table saw or dremel. You could also just drill holes but I don't think it would be as effective. I actually nest the needlepoint about 1/2" inside the PVC pipe in the saw groove. Rough up the needlepoint sheet using a hole saw or some other rough knife/cutter. You want it really rough.

Look at the photo for general design. The small pump pumps water into the entire frame via the 1/2" barbed connection. I have the ball valves in the pic but they are unneeded I thought I might need to throttle the input but I didn't. Also make the right side like the left side not like the pic. I changed design 1/2 way through. And you can see on the right leg I have tap for future expansion to something else. Also not needed. The tee fitting creates the legs of each side of the ATS. Plug one end with the cap and the other gets the 90 slip/thread fitting and is the input for the pump.

I have my light on an 18 hour timer - 6am to 12am. I also have my needlepoint sheet just touching the water so I have no splashing at all.

Pic - this is within a week of setting this up. I already had hair algae growing on it and the tank is crystal clear. These things WORK!

This was a quick and dirty so hopefully I did not leave anything out.

post-2635356-0-73473900-1458761477_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishgate

Are those are bubbles? I don't think they are but its hard to tell.

Im also on the wait list for the ATS. He said I should be on the next round!

To tack onto Post #9 above: You can find plastic needlepoint canvas at a craft store (like Michael's) if you're going this route. Others have used plastic window screen material, too.

Not sure I would add an ATS given already low po4 and no3: if that were in my tank, I would increase flow and get both a sand sifter and an urchin (latter can really clean and maintain rock IME). $0.02.

Not sure I would add an ATS given already low po4 and no3: if that were in my tank, I would increase flow and get both a sand sifter and an urchin (latter can really clean and maintain rock IME). $0.02.

If you have a lot of algae or other things that use phophates/nitrates your test readings are typically not accurate. In those cases you should go by what you see. A lot means high phos/nitrates.

(edited)

Yeah, I already have 4 tiger sand conches in there, but they only come out at night due to my puffers and hawkfish and don't really help too much. I added more snails recently, but my puffers went to town on them as soon as I put them in. Only a few survived. What an expensive treat for them. My goby/shrimp pair do keep the area outside their burrow pretty clean. I was going to add another pair but then the new goby jumped the tank while in QT. I may consider an urchin. What kind would you recommend?

Edited by cpu933k