ATI sunpower dimmable 6 or 8 bulb

eddiev0008

Guys need your expert advice I have a 3ftX2ft by 18 in deep 70 gallon cadlights I'm looking into purchasing my first t5 fixture . Wondering if the 8 bulb would be overkill especially if my tank is only 18in deep, any advice ? Also do you all recommend the dimmable or regular ? Heard that the dimmable is having ballast issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been running T5 for a really long time, I don't see the point in the dimmable feature. As for the 6 or 8 bulb I would spend the money and get the 8 bulb. Gives you more choices for bulb selection to get the perfect colors that you want.

I agree with Eric (epleeds), I have also been running ATI T5 fixtures for a long time and I am sure the dimmable feature is fun to have I do not personally see the need.

Also, Monkiboy has a brand new 24" 8 bulb ATI he is selling right now for a very good price.  And yes, the 24" length would be plenty for your 36" tank.

Tom

I'm with Eric. I don't see the need for dimmable (but it was a nice feature to have.) I do see corals react to soft start ups and ramp downs, but for the most part, I think they adapt, and it's not worth the extra money on the fixture. I also would go 8 bulb, you can always use less if you find it's too much, but you can't add on if you get the 6 and decide it's not enough. 

On an 18" deep tank 8-bulbs is way overkill.  I have a 6-bulb on a 12" and a 6 bulb on a 24".  Both cook my corals and grow very well.  Obviously the 12" deep is a very short photo period otherwise I would boil the water.

The only benefit to buying an 8 bulb is just in case you plan to upgrade to a deeper tank someday. 

Guys need your expert advice I have a 3ftX2ft by 18 in deep 70 gallon cadlights I'm looking into purchasing my first t5 fixture . Wondering if the 8 bulb would be overkill especially if my tank is only 18in deep, any advice ? Also do you all recommend the dimmable or regular ? Heard that the dimmable is having ballast issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie, didn't you sell (or have listed) a 6-lamp ATI T5 fixture back in early February?

Back when I ran T5's (on my 180), the ballasts were capable of dimming, but it was a feature that I never used. Instead, I turned on my lights sequentially in three phases.

If you have the tek why not just use that. Those lights are awesome. I have known many tanks that use those lights

+1

If you have the tek why not just use that. Those lights are awesome. I have known many tanks that use those lights

Agree with this. That's a good light you have.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk