Upgrading Tank and moving Live Stock

WCorbin82

(edited)

So I've decided to move on from my 50 gallon cube which is tanking up a lil more space than I want in my office to a 105 DSA rimless tank I'm putting in my apartment. So my main concern is the "Transfer. I have about 60-70 live rock in the main display and a 1.5 sand bed so I'm not sure how much water volume is in this 50 cube. Also have a large sump (36x16x16) I plan on using for the upgrade. So my current 50 cube is located at my job and my upgrade tank is located at my apartment which is about 10-15 mins away. How should I go about the transfer? I know I will need to make about 50-60 gallons of saltwater or maybe more. I also have a lot of corals and fish. Which should I move first? Should I use all fresh new saltwater? Should I use current saltwater and then make up the rest? Should I add sand last or first. Add rock last or first? Help me out please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by WCorbin82

I would attempt to do it all at once in one day. Use some of the current water. Build aquascape first then add new sand then fish and corals. JMO

I would attempt to do it all at once in one day. Use some of the current water. Build aquascape first then add new sand then fish and corals. JMO

So a lot of my corals are glued on the rock still add the aqua scape first?

How long as the 50g been set up? Is the sand young, or ancient? If old and 'deeper' then you might be better starting with new and seed it with existing vs stirring up noxious gasses.

I'd probably do all the livestock and rock transfers in one day, but use as much of the existing water as possible. You could do a few bigger water changes at work in the week leading up to the move, and take the export water home to circulate in the new tank; that could lead to having the most closely matched total system water in the 105 on the day of the move...theoretically. Regardless, have more water made and on hand that what you need...by like 20-40%...never know what could happen and worst case is you're prepared for first new tank water change.

I'd put the base rock in first for sure, the rocks with corals attached I'd treat like corals and do move them quickly....unless you unmount. If you don't unmount, do you have a good plan to prevent breakage during transit? 

If it were me, I would set the DSA up with the water and make sure everything is running with no leaks. Just water. No rock or sand.

Your going to probably add more rock to the set up so I would cycle that rock in the tank first to make sure you don't have a cycle. Once that rock is cured then I would do the transfer from the 50 to the 105. You could do it all in a day or a little at a time.

When u have tanks in two locations, what is the point of rushing it when you don't have too.

If it were me, I would set the DSA up with the water and make sure everything is running with no leaks. Just water. No rock or sand.

Your going to probably add more rock to the set up so I would cycle that rock in the tank first to make sure you don't have a cycle. Once that rock is cured then I would do the transfer from the 50 to the 105. You could do it all in a day or a little at a time.

When u have tanks in two locations, what is the point of rushing it when you don't have too.

I like this better than my original reaction

How long as the 50g been set up? Is the sand young, or ancient? If old and 'deeper' then you might be better starting with new and seed it with existing vs stirring up noxious gasses.

I'd probably do all the livestock and rock transfers in one day, but use as much of the existing water as possible. You could do a few bigger water changes at work in the week leading up to the move, and take the export water home to circulate in the new tank; that could lead to having the most closely matched total system water in the 105 on the day of the move...theoretically. Regardless, have more water made and on hand that what you need...by like 20-40%...never know what could happen and worst case is you're prepared for first new tank water change.

I'd put the base rock in first for sure, the rocks with corals attached I'd treat like corals and do move them quickly....unless you unmount. If you don't unmount, do you have a good plan to prevent breakage during transit?

The tank has been up and running since about Oct 2015 so roughly 5 months. I removed about 2 inches of sand from the cube about a week ago and it's in a 5 gallon bucket. I don't want a deep sand bed no more so I don't plan in buying more sand so even if I use all the sand I brought 50 pounds for the original set up. I really don't want unmount the corals. Some I don't have glued and knowing me I will be moving the corals around until I find that sweet spot. I do plan on doing it within the month piece by piece as some of the fish not coming to the new tank. I have mostly LPS so I'm not too concern about breakage and I plan on using some type of egg crate portable mount in a 5 gallon to hold in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same just didn't want to go through a cycle again if I can help it. Also my concern is using the sump and lighting on the new set up. I could always buy another sump but I see no need when this one would work. So it won't be just a livestock transfer but also equipment as well.

That is a little different then. Are you planning on live rock or dry to add to the aquascape. Because if you go dry there is a chance your going to have a small cycle.

Also I would suggest a new sand bed with a cup of the live sand from your tank. Since the sand has trapped some nasty stuff over the last 5 months.

That is a little different then. Are you planning on live rock or dry to add to the aquascape. Because if you go dry there is a chance your going to have a small cycle.

Also I would suggest a new sand bed with a cup of the live sand from your tank. Since the sand has trapped some nasty stuff over the last 5 months.

Don't plan on adding any new dry rock may a few pieces of shelf rock. I have some rock I'm gonna use from my work lobby tank. And thanks I have a 40 breeder to hold the fish. May give me a chance to treat them with meds also.

SN: You know anybody selling a 8 bulb sun power T5 fixture

I was thinking the same just didn't want to go through a cycle again if I can help it. Also my concern is using the sump and lighting on the new set up. I could always buy another sump but I see no need when this one would work. So it won't be just a livestock transfer but also equipment as well.

But if you cycle the the dry rock by itself aren't you more likely to get more of the algea outbreak? I think your will hardly notice the cycle if you use the live rock you already have to help with breaking stuff down. I don't know if this is true is just seems logical to me

But if you cycle the the dry rock by itself aren't you more likely to get more of the algea outbreak? I think your will hardly notice the cycle if you use the live rock you already have to help with breaking stuff down. I don't know if this is true is just seems logical to me

Yeah I don't really plan on using any more rock than what's in my system. I like the minimal look now. 1 tower in the middle to cover the overflow and 2 islands on the side and flat pieces on the sand is what I'm going for.

Keep in mind the live rock is your natural filter. With more volume and the same amount of live rock you will have to think about another way to export the nutrients. Just a thought. 

Keep in mind the live rock is your natural filter. With more volume and the same amount of live rock you will have to think about another way to export the nutrients. Just a thought.

Point taken I do plan on adding some rock but I don't want a whole lot. I do want a lot in my sump

Point taken I do plan on adding some rock but I don't want a whole lot. I do want a lot in my sump

You may want to consider the Marinepure ceramic media if you are going to throw a bunch of rock in the sump.

You may want to consider the Marinepure ceramic media if you are going to throw a bunch of rock in the sump.

Ok I think I'm going that route I have 1 but I wanna add another it's right below my media tray before it gets to the return

• 1 month later...