Kids' favorites

Anemone

I'm looking for stocking suggestions to appeal to my kids. They're pretty much over most fish. On the other hand there was a big blennie they saw recently that was hilarious because they thought it was too fat to swim. So I'm trying to come up with a few unusual things to stock, e.g. pipefish, sea cucumbers, nudibranches, or particularly odd fish.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Get a longhorn cowfish , I have one and he always get attention , they're not really toxic when they died , its just a myth . 

How big is the tank for the longhorn, Tommy? Liveaquaria says 250 is the minimum since they get to over a foot long.

125g is plenty of room for them ( Reefescape has one nice one in a 50g i believe)   , they only get over a foot long the ocean i believe , and they don't really swim much as they are weak swimmer.  I have a 4-5 inch in my 25g shallow and he seems to do fine ..for now , he even spit water at you when he see you coming with his food so the kids will love that.   Just make sure he's the first fish in the tank and don't house him with any aggressive fish because they are slow swimmer, also moderate flow too , not too strong.  Also buying one thats fairly decent size (3-5 inch)  will significantly increase the survival rate ( I found this out the hard way..lol) 

I'm not including the various hermits and snails you'd expect in a clean-up crew

Crustaceans: Fire shrimp and/or skunk cleaner shrimp; "halloween" hermit crab. Coral banded shrimp and (especially) arrow crabs are "cool looking" but with a bad attitude. 

Echinoderms: Large Serpent/brittle stars, Tuxedo and/or pincushion urchins

Mollusks: Tiger or fighting conchs 

Annelids: Feather duster/Coco worms, Christmas Tree worms

Softies: pulsing Xenia (most kids I've seen love the movement); branching gorgonians/sea whips

LPS: Bubble coral, frogspawn/hammer

Fish: I think you'll be better off with peaceful, "plays well with others" types, which admittedly limits you somewhat. Even so, I think there are some fun options for kids. For example, an engineer goby will give you the look of an eel without worrying about who else in the tank it's going to eat. If you're going with a sandy substrate, once its well populated with microfauna I'd suggest a scooter blenny (aka ocellated dragonet). Our kids loved ours, which they named "Puff" because of the fine substrate he ejected through his gills while feeding. Our kids also really liked the sharknose cleaner and yellow clown gobies we've had.

I let mine "pick" the first fish for my 90g. I controlled it a bit, but it was their choices. 5 year old got 2 gold neon gobies and the 3 year old picked 2 ocellaris clowns. They used to love our old yellow tang from the previous tank..and now we have a sailfin and hippo. Had good kid experiences at Marine Scene and BRK...patience is a true virtue. Quantum is also great as they give the boys a light show.

In all those instances of the fish they liked, they were at the store and carried the bags out. Their involvement helped their interest more than the actual fishe selected. They aren't total fish heads yet, but they do really like the tank. I've also let the oldest one hand me corals from the acclimation bucket so I could put them in the tank. Cheaper frags helped me get comfortable with this...and posed less risk...but I never had a problem no matter how he handled them...and he certainly tested a couple of them for durability... haha

How long have you had it Tommy, and how much has it grown?

Ive had it for about 4.5 months now and I haven't noticed any growth yet ..lol  he eats like a pig tho.

My 12 year old daughter has been hounding me to get a long spine urchin. I don't want it because I'm afraid it's going to knock everything over.

Algae blenny. They are characters. Or a pistol/goby pair!

Go by live Aquaria recommendation on tank sizes, vendors have stock in smaller tanks for heavier stock and more rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 12 year old daughter has been hounding me to get a long spine urchin. I don't want it because I'm afraid it's going to knock everything over.

It will. Take the opportunity to epoxy to your rock work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Pom pom crab.  He was my favorite thing in my last tank.  I would feed and he would run out like a mad man waving his anemones around to scare the fish away.. he would them mop the food up in one and slowly wave back into his cave.  If your fish are large enough to not be eaten I find the frog fish kinda cool

Edited by Keraxis

How about I tape pinups to the back glass as a background?

Preferable to putting girls in the tank, but I wouldn't do anything to encourage the boys in that direction (not that it will likely require any encouragement).

Make sure to let us all know what you finally end up with! :)

I will. You gave some great ideas. I'll start a build thread when things get closer. We're about a month from moving back in to the house. Our builder is putting in a custom stand skinned to match the cabinets, and we've got plumbing from under the stand down to the fish room (former laundry room so it's got everything going for it). Anyway once we're a little settled I'll start looking for more input. For the time being I'm content to be curing some live and dead rock in the basement of the temporary place.