Eric Borneman Tank crash

mutley29

Still on going

Quote: "Well, sadly, I think the mystery has been solved".

"Brandee was walking the dogs today and recalled that we had some water coming out of a french drain that runs the length beside the property next to the sump room and dumps next to our driveway. This happens often...if we sprinkle, my neighbor sprinkles, it rains, etc. Well, today while walking the dog she noticed that there were white streaks at the drain since its been dry. I immediately thought...salt deposits. Upon arriving home, I sampled it, tasted it, and its salt. The police are on their way out now."

All this is now gone

aa813618.gif

Stay tuned to the MD thread

Quote:

Depite everything I have done, it seems that something was set into motion that was unstoppable. The only corals to survive were all my Psammacora, a Fungia, and a Pavona chip, Several others are alive but continuing to die, no matter what I try. All the fish lived, except maybe a wrasse - I think. The water is still too cloudy to see through after three days of skimming, carbon and 600 gallons of water changes. Those that are still alive and hanging on are bleached white and many of those are loosing what tissue is left. Basically, I have rocks. The coraline died, the sponges died as did all the other life on them. Most a sitting in a pile on my living room floor to stop further fouling. Everything. I have never, despite monstrous accidental faults of my own, power outages, A'C failures and even a top off malfunction have I seen anything like this. To bring the salinity up alone required 350 gallons of salt. My skimmer drains to the outside, so there would have been a pool of some 400 gallons of water if the skimmer was overflowing and the skimmer was at a perfect skimming level that evening when I got home. No water in the sump room from sump overflow. Auto-top working perfectly then and now. I hate to think somone would do this, but as far as I can tell, that is the only conceivable thing I can think of. I have cried daily, and I am crying now. Some of the species I had can never be replaced. I filled several curbside trash cans with coral skeletons.

Thank you all so much for you beautiful words. I have thousands of fragments in culture, sadly limited in types, could never afford to restock the tank to what is was, and it will be 5- 10 years before - and if - it ever resembles what it did a few days ago. Thank you for your well wishes and offers. Sadly, to see the massive corals in my tanks replaced by chips and fragments is too much to consider right now. I will care for my culture system and my bedroom tanks and let this tank stabilize for several months and see what else lives or dies.

I do realize, however, that my love of this hobby and corals still exists, and I will be here for you, though with a very sad heart to help how I can, if not only to help anyone else from ever experiencing anything of this magnitude. So while I may have been premature saying I am leaving the hobby, I won't. But, posting without my inspiration behind glass sitting beside me will be a heartwrenching task.

My dear wife, Brandee, said "when we restock, we restock together so I can know everything there is to know about everything that goes in the tank." I promised.

Eric Borneman

"I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies. This is the dawning of the rest of our lives."

A thread like that will make you sick...

Dave

Guest alex wlazlak

could you guys post some pics here of his tank? i cant get them to load right from my computer... thanks. thats horrible.

I know he's p.o'd but he is also being a total @%&%&^$&@

His next to last post (below) is just slamming people who are trying to help! Some of the posts were moronic, but he should not be slamming the posters. Personally I don't like the guy, he rubbed me the wrong way @ a CMAS meeting last year. That being said I feel bad for the guy and for his now dead livestock............

>>Eric,

Sorry for your loss.<<

thank you

>>Obviously it sounds like what ever happened started in your shed. I bet your problem lies w/ in what ever pipes you have running into the french drain, and bet that if you dug up your french drain and checked for salt, it would be very saturated. <<

You don't understand. There are no pipes. A french drain is designed to take up water that is in excess of what the ground can handle and channels it elsewhere.

>> I guess you'll know eventually if the grass/plants die in that area. The pattern of salt depositing on your driveway below the drain seems to show that the amount of saltwater was at a maximum flow for a decent amount of time.<<

Again, you don't understand. This is excess water from the ground nearby. We have french drains around the base of our house that are designed becuase of the nature of the soil in our area and foundational issues. They drain water away from the foundation and to the edges of the house. Then there are drains from the backyard that channel water from the golf course (back yard) to the street. These are basically small flood prevention devices that are put in place because Houston soil goes from baked dry to soupy and saturation from a heavy rain after a period of draught causes flooding. Houston, and especially southwest Houston which is an old fluvial delta and sits on many fault lines makes these sort of a requisite of the buildings here.

>>Then the amount of flow was reduced almost 33% and flowed for a decent amount of time. <<

What are you talking about? You would actually have to know with surveyor's precision our area to understand how water pools at the base of our driveway and the nature of any runoff and the grade of our street to make any such statements. If you would like to come spend a few days at the house, I can flood the area in question and you can see how water pools out of a corrugated 4" subterrainian pipe. We see it regularly as...well...we live here. So, your insinuation and understanding of the dynamics and grade of drainage in our neighbrohood and our very lot, in fact, is rather insulting.

>> And right by the curve, that is probably the point at which saltwater with a very low salinity was flowing at a decreasing rate, thus removing most salt deposit past the 2nd line. Since there was no overflow or flooding, the only thing I can come up w/ is that it must have to do w/ the pipes leading from your tank to the french drain.

Again, you have no concept of what this is. There are no pipes. It is a simple underground channelling device for sudden downpours...generally rain.

>>Perhaps you got a clot in the piping somewhere which dislodged after a few hours<<

see above. You don't understand.

>>I really have a hard time seeing this as something someone else did. There would be evidence supporting that such as an open water valve, busted pipe, cut pipe, or broken water related piece of equipment. I don't see someone hanging out in your lawn/shed, turning on the water, waiting for all that water to enter your system not knowing when you will be back or if anyone is even home, and then shutting the water off.<<

So, rather, you would have to instead explain how 400 gallons of vanished in the course of several hours of a day without any flooding and without any equipment failure.

>> Rather I think you have probably more likely been a victim of physics.<<

I would think physics would have a rather hard time explaining this and your clear misunderstanding of how our lot is designed and the nature of these drains is not only obviously wrong but also a bit insulting to presuppose that you have knowledge of our home that we do not. In fact, its a little creepy.

>>I think we can figure this one out using science and not pointing any fingers.<<

Thanks for the help.

>>Calling the police probably won't do anything unless there is proof someone did it, and if you ask me, so far nothing really seems to indicate that.<<

No one really asked you, no offense, and the police deemed it worthy of a case file. That's their business.

>> Might ask the neighbors if they saw anyone in your lawn that day just to be safe though. <<

yeah, thanks. My neighbor used to watch my tank. he's a retired gentleman, and we have talked.

>> I'd call a plumber or another reefer with experience in plumbing and let them look things over.<<

thanks...because certainly I don't qualify in that regard. I should have a reefer with experience to come lend me a hand. good idea. And a plumber.....for pipes that aren't broken. Another good idea.

>>Oh and might think about getting a security camera for the shed <<

Why? I was a victim of physics and no sign of misdoing by others, according to your own words. There is a motion sensor in shed, but we have to be home to hear it. Ironic.

Guest Ominojacu

I know he's p.o'd but he is also being a total @%&%&^$&@

His next to last post (below) is just slamming people who are trying to help! Some of the posts were moronic, but he should not be slamming the posters. Personally I don't like the guy, he rubbed me the wrong way @ a CMAS meeting last year. That being said I feel bad for the guy and for his now dead livestock............

>>Eric,

Sorry for your loss.<<

thank you

>>Obviously it sounds like what ever happened started in your shed. I bet your problem lies w/ in what ever pipes you have running into the french drain, and bet that if you dug up your french drain and checked for salt, it would be very saturated. <<

You don't understand. There are no pipes. A french drain is designed to take up water that is in excess of what the ground can handle and channels it elsewhere.

>> I guess you'll know eventually if the grass/plants die in that area. The pattern of salt depositing on your driveway below the drain seems to show that the amount of saltwater was at a maximum flow for a decent amount of time.<<

Again, you don't understand. This is excess water from the ground nearby. We have french drains around the base of our house that are designed becuase of the nature of the soil in our area and foundational issues. They drain water away from the foundation and to the edges of the house. Then there are drains from the backyard that channel water from the golf course (back yard) to the street. These are basically small flood prevention devices that are put in place because Houston soil goes from baked dry to soupy and saturation from a heavy rain after a period of draught causes flooding. Houston, and especially southwest Houston which is an old fluvial delta and sits on many fault lines makes these sort of a requisite of the buildings here.

>>Then the amount of flow was reduced almost 33% and flowed for a decent amount of time. <<

What are you talking about? You would actually have to know with surveyor's precision our area to understand how water pools at the base of our driveway and the nature of any runoff and the grade of our street to make any such statements. If you would like to come spend a few days at the house, I can flood the area in question and you can see how water pools out of a corrugated 4" subterrainian pipe. We see it regularly as...well...we live here. So, your insinuation and understanding of the dynamics and grade of drainage in our neighbrohood and our very lot, in fact, is rather insulting.

>> And right by the curve, that is probably the point at which saltwater with a very low salinity was flowing at a decreasing rate, thus removing most salt deposit past the 2nd line. Since there was no overflow or flooding, the only thing I can come up w/ is that it must have to do w/ the pipes leading from your tank to the french drain.

Again, you have no concept of what this is. There are no pipes. It is a simple underground channelling device for sudden downpours...generally rain.

>>Perhaps you got a clot in the piping somewhere which dislodged after a few hours<<

see above. You don't understand.

>>I really have a hard time seeing this as something someone else did. There would be evidence supporting that such as an open water valve, busted pipe, cut pipe, or broken water related piece of equipment. I don't see someone hanging out in your lawn/shed, turning on the water, waiting for all that water to enter your system not knowing when you will be back or if anyone is even home, and then shutting the water off.<<

So, rather, you would have to instead explain how 400 gallons of vanished in the course of several hours of a day without any flooding and without any equipment failure.

>> Rather I think you have probably more likely been a victim of physics.<<

I would think physics would have a rather hard time explaining this and your clear misunderstanding of how our lot is designed and the nature of these drains is not only obviously wrong but also a bit insulting to presuppose that you have knowledge of our home that we do not. In fact, its a little creepy.

>>I think we can figure this one out using science and not pointing any fingers.<<

Thanks for the help.

>>Calling the police probably won't do anything unless there is proof someone did it, and if you ask me, so far nothing really seems to indicate that.<<

No one really asked you, no offense, and the police deemed it worthy of a case file. That's their business.

>> Might ask the neighbors if they saw anyone in your lawn that day just to be safe though. <<

yeah, thanks. My neighbor used to watch my tank. he's a retired gentleman, and we have talked.

>> I'd call a plumber or another reefer with experience in plumbing and let them look things over.<<

thanks...because certainly I don't qualify in that regard. I should have a reefer with experience to come lend me a hand. good idea. And a plumber.....for pipes that aren't broken. Another good idea.

>>Oh and might think about getting a security camera for the shed <<

Why? I was a victim of physics and no sign of misdoing by others, according to your own words. There is a motion sensor in shed, but we have to be home to hear it. Ironic.

There is logical argument which states that when you have a suspect fully capable of completed the task being questioned, don't invent another. For example if glass of milk was spilled in closed room and the only one found in the room was the cat, don't blame in on the milk fairy. when the cat is capable and is therefore logical suspect. In other words without any more evidence other then the fact that the saltwater was replaced with fresh, why invent an intruder? the obvious and logical suspect is the autofiller.

Sickning to hear of any tremendous loss as this has become and hate to see any type of animosity on anyones situation, good, bad or indifferent!

If criminal mischef, shame that someone's jealousy would wreck another man's life investment for whatever reason.

If his own error, don't lower yourself and let sleeping dogs lie!

IMHO!

There actually is additional evidence that the autofiller was not the problem.

I read earlier in his post that his RO/DI is rated at 50 gallons per day, and the tank was unattended for about 8 hours. If the autofiller malfunctioned as soon as the wife left, and stopped just before he got home, that only accounts for about 17 gallons. You can play with the numbers and see that it's not possible for the autofiller be the culprit. Maybe they were gone for 12 hours, not 8. Maybe he forgot that he upgraded his membrane to 100gpd. My RO/DI puts out more than it's rated for...maybe his does too. Go wild and suppose it puts out twice the rated amount. 200gpd instead of only 100. Even with all these far out "possibilities", you're only up to 100g make up. That's nowhere near the amount of RO/DI water needed to lower the salinity that much. And then the autofiller would have to stop malfunctioning before he inspected it. And if the autofiller did malfunction for a while, where did the displaced water go? Bourneman said there were no signs of an overflow.

Jon

There is logical argument which states that when you have a suspect fully capable of completed the task being questioned, don't invent another. For example if glass of milk was spilled in closed room and the only one found in the room was the cat, don't blame in on the milk fairy. when the cat is capable and is therefore logical suspect. In other words without any more evidence other then the fact that the saltwater was replaced with fresh, why invent an intruder? the obvious and logical suspect is the autofiller.

I was shocked at the news. I've read nearly every page, particularly the last 5.

I would have expected Eric to stay way from the thread just to have a cooling off period. It's well known that as the Coral Wisperer, clearly corals are in his blood, so maybe he was conflicted and still felt the need to to stay plugged in. Who knows? None of us do.

However, I do not recall him at any time asking anyone for their analysis. And I don't know if anyone has ever been to his house (anyone been?) and have seen the complete details of his setup (photos?). So after 12 pages and 119 posts, some from truly amateur Sherlocks out there, anyone would reach a breaking point. Personally, after the third poorly worded, poorly analyzed and poorly concluded post, I started feeling a bit surprised that some people didn't learn from the previous poster, and instead came up with something even nuttier.

Sometimes kind words are best. I would have lost patience if it was me. I expected him to have closed the discusion much sooner.

As for kicking him when he's down, that's particularly unfair play. I joined Wamas in time for the Nov 04 frag meeting at which he spoke. I had never fragged anything before, and when it came time for the frag workshop, I got to sit opposite him while he was chiseling away at something encrusted on a large piece of LR. I helped to steady the chunk, and it split open in half.

You could have knocked me over with a Hawiian Feather Duster, but I had no idea that things actually lived inside the LR. And the amazing part: As he explained to me some facts about borer clams, Eric was looking at them with the same enthusiasm and wonder as I was, who has never seen that before in my life.

Dave

I read about the "borneman tank crash" shortly after it was posted on Wamas. At that time, Eric's thread was a couple, maybe 5 pages long. I just read the next 7 pages tonight. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Who in their right mind would have the audacity to give Erick Borneman advice...ERIC BORNEMAN!!! Anthony Calfo, maybe....Bob Fenner, maybe. But a hobbyist??? Please, these people need to take care of their own tanks and leave Mr. Borneman's alone....

Guest Ominojacu

There actually is additional evidence that the autofiller was not the problem.

I read earlier in his post that his RO/DI is rated at 50 gallons per day, and the tank was unattended for about 8 hours. If the autofiller malfunctioned as soon as the wife left, and stopped just before he got home, that only accounts for about 17 gallons. You can play with the numbers and see that it's not possible for the autofiller be the culprit. Maybe they were gone for 12 hours, not 8. Maybe he forgot that he upgraded his membrane to 100gpd. My RO/DI puts out more than it's rated for...maybe his does too. Go wild and suppose it puts out twice the rated amount. 200gpd instead of only 100. Even with all these far out "possibilities", you're only up to 100g make up. That's nowhere near the amount of RO/DI water needed to lower the salinity that much. And then the autofiller would have to stop malfunctioning before he inspected it. And if the autofiller did malfunction for a while, where did the displaced water go? Bourneman said there were no signs of an overflow.

Jon

What is your estimate for the amount of time it would take to do this? If there was no sign of overflow, one has to consider the reasonable possibilties, and I don't mean to insult anyone wether or not it was intentional, it was a tragedy, and I don't mean to make light of it, but it's puzzle and puzzles demand evaluation if not solutions. If an intruder were responsible, they must have run a hose in to the tank, and one out into the yard to drain. Waited a suffcient amount of time and then removed all the evidence. It seems to me that if your only intention was to destroy his stock, one would hook up the hose and leave it running and then beat it out their before anyone saw them. I mean if you hate someone enough to do something like this then why care about water damage to the shed? The person would have had to feel fairly comfortable to hang around. I hate to say it, but I can see only one reason why one would wait and why someone would bother running a hose outside of the shed, and that they wanted to kill the coral and not to damage anything else, i.e. they have a stake in the property. Not knowing how close the neighbors are. If they are close, then they are possible suspects, otherwise the only other suspects are family members.

Guest Ominojacu

What is your estimate for the amount of time it would take to do this? If there was no sign of overflow, one has to consider the reasonable possibilties, and I don't mean to insult anyone wether or not it was intentional, it was a tragedy, and I don't mean to make light of it, but it's puzzle and puzzles demand evaluation if not solutions. If an intruder were responsible, they must have run a hose in to the tank, and one out into the yard to drain. Waited a suffcient amount of time and then removed all the evidence. It seems to me that if your only intention was to destroy his stock, one would hook up the hose and leave it running and then beat it out their before anyone saw them. I mean if you hate someone enough to do something like this then why care about water damage to the shed? The person would have had to feel fairly comfortable to hang around. I hate to say it, but I can see only one reason why one would wait and why someone would bother running a hose outside of the shed, and that they wanted to kill the coral and not to damage anything else, i.e. they have a stake in the property. Not knowing how close the neighbors are. If they are close, then they are possible suspects, otherwise the only other suspects are family members.

I read the entire thread and two points stick out. one, is the wifes statement."My dear wife, Brandee, said "when we restock, we restock together so I can know everything there is to know about everything that goes in the tank." The second is the fact that she was last person to leave and had several hours alone at the house. Generally when someone is murdered the last person to see them is alive is usually the person that did it. Her statement suggest that she felt left out, and she was the last person that was at the house before it happened and given that culprit took precautions to avoid damage to the house or shed, that would make her the main suspect.

I read about the "borneman tank crash" shortly after it was posted on Wamas. At that time, Eric's thread was a couple, maybe 5 pages long. I just read the next 7 pages tonight. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Who in their right mind would have the audacity to give Erick Borneman advice...ERIC BORNEMAN!!! Anthony Calfo, maybe....Bob Fenner, maybe. But a hobbyist??? Please, these people need to take care of their own tanks and leave Mr. Borneman's alone....

I'll give anyone advice, information sharing is always a posititive thing, if turns out that the person getting the advice knows more then me, then I will learn something. I am new to hobby, and I am sure that the people you mentioned are worthy of respect, still your inference that a "hobbiest" is somehow less of person then they are made me throw up in my mouth just a little bit.

WHOA GANG HOLD THE BUS!!!

First of all, No matter what, who. Or whomever cause the problem, let's treat this gentlemen and his family with respect and take the high road here and don't point the fingers at ANYONE with suggestions like this!!

No one on this site or any where else has any concrete evidence outside of the police report to be suggesting anything!

Again the high road please, this is WAMAS, NOT SPRINGER!

Howard, I agree, lets not point fingers here or elsewhere on this. We don't know what really happened nor can we. I have not had the good fortune to hear him speak, but I feel a debt of gratitude to him. When it came time to start over from my own tank crash, his books were incredibly helpful. To this day, I consult Borneman, Tullock, and Calfo before making any additions to my tank. Echoing your statement, "this is WAMAS, NOT SPRINGER!", I wonder what we as WAMAS can do for Borneman. I see incredibly generosity on this forum, helping strangers move tanks, get set up with frags, recover from disaster. Is there anybody at WAMAS who actually knows him and can make an overture of help when (if) he is ready to start over? Isn't that truely in the spirit of WAMAS?

Larry

Guest Ominojacu

Howard, I agree, lets not point fingers here or elsewhere on this. We don't know what really happened nor can we. I have not had the good fortune to hear him speak, but I feel a debt of gratitude to him. When it came time to start over from my own tank crash, his books were incredibly helpful. To this day, I consult Borneman, Tullock, and Calfo before making any additions to my tank. Echoing your statement, "this is WAMAS, NOT SPRINGER!", I wonder what we as WAMAS can do for Borneman. I see incredibly generosity on this forum, helping strangers move tanks, get set up with frags, recover from disaster. Is there anybody at WAMAS who actually knows him and can make an overture of help when (if) he is ready to start over? Isn't that truely in the spirit of WAMAS?

Larry

Sorry, I just don't see were the offense is, It a great tragedy what happen to his tank, but it also presents a mystery. Is rude to speculate on that mystery? It is an offense to examine the evidence that we are give to draw a logical conclusion? I see I am upsetting people so I'll just drop the subject, but if were me, and I created a post of how my tank mysteriously crashed, I would welcome speculation as it would help me to understand what happened. If he wasn't looking for that kind of feed back then why present the mystery at all, why not just say my tank crash, and I don't want to talk about it?

Sorry, I just don't see were the offense is, It a great tragedy what happen to his tank, but it also presents a mystery. Is rude to speculate on that mystery? It is an offense to examine the evidence that we are give to draw a logical conclusion? I see I am upsetting people so I'll just drop the subject, but if were me, and I created a post of how my tank mysteriously crashed, I would welcome speculation as it would help me to understand what happened. If he wasn't looking for that kind of feed back then why present the mystery at all, why not just say my tank crash, and I don't want to talk about it?

he did say that in the first post. he was just letting everyone know... then of course, people wanted to know what happened, and started chiming in with "fix it" stuff, as most guys do, instead of just saying "i'm really sorry, let us know if we can help" and leaving it at that. he didn't invite the commentaries.

personally, it's pretty hard to make ANY assumptions about anything without being there. people started out trying to offer helpful suggestions, but then it descended to amateur slueths chiming in, who, probably didn't read the whole thread, or know who Eric is, but rather, just saw a tank crash thread, and wanted to post opinions. it's sad, that no one takes the time to read everything.

Guest Ominojacu

he did say that in the first post. he was just letting everyone know... then of course, people wanted to know what happened, and started chiming in with "fix it" stuff, as most guys do, instead of just saying "i'm really sorry, let us know if we can help" and leaving it at that. he didn't invite the commentaries.

personally, it's pretty hard to make ANY assumptions about anything without being there. people started out trying to offer helpful suggestions, but then it descended to amateur slueths chiming in, who, probably didn't read the whole thread, or know who Eric is, but rather, just saw a tank crash thread, and wanted to post opinions. it's sad, that no one takes the time to read everything.

If didn't invite the commentaries they he shouldn't have offered details of what happened. forums are for discussing, speculations, and general opinions. What's wrong with amateur slueths? I consider it a noble task to seek the truth, and do not see it as polite to ignore problem with someones logic, and simply patronize them. I don't see what difference it make if you know who he is or not, I didn't know reef keepers had celebrity premodonnas.

If didn't invite the commentaries they he shouldn't have offered details of what happened. forums are for discussing, speculations, and general opinions. What's wrong with amateur slueths? I consider it a noble task to seek the truth, and do not see it as polite to ignore problem with someones logic, and simply patronize them. I don't see what difference it make if you know who he is or not, I didn't know reef keepers had celebrity premodonnas.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong, but in this particular case, there really isn't a more knowledgable person in the country, maybe the world, about captive coral keeping than Eric Bourneman. He studies coral as his living, and with that kind of knowledge, while I understand where you are coming from, and yes finding the truth is good, I doubt any of us could even know where to start on analyzing potential problem spots on his system, especially not having seen it up close.

And not all the comments were bad, it's just if some of those people had read the thread, they'd see someone already said what they did. And again, I think many just thought it was another tank crash, simple user error, not one of our few professionals. It's almost equivalent to us trying to figure out why a tank at the Baltimore aquarium crashed.

I would like to think that Eric is a friend of wamas, and vice versa. Eric's best friend Micheal is a past president of wamas, and he has supplied a good number of generations of coral to this area. For that, we can thank him (except for all the darn capnella). There is no doubt he can fill his tank with livestock in about a 1/2 second with rarer corals than any of us have. We can just see if there is any old favorites he has spread we can return.

Good example of spreading a few favorites around in just these cases, and keeping some sort of records of where your coral came from. Even if on on ther freebie table, note the name on the bag. It can happen to all of us...

Did my Borneman anemones just go up in value?

A general "Thanks" for the level headed views that have returned.

Odd coincidence: I just gave Wildman a Rose BTA clone over the weekend. I decide to spare it the agony of trying to pry the gal off of the LR that it was sharing with it's twin. I split the rock since it was in the open, so I didn't cause a reefslide and easily managed it. The one that I kept just took a walk last night. I picked up the piece of LR to prop up a colony and saw this weird skinny black thing hanging down.

It was a Borer clam....

Many thanks Eric!!

FF