Cycling Tank

jon_703

So my tank has been cycling for about a week week and a half. I used RO/DI water, I have two powerheads going, fluval filter etc. There's this brown algae growing on the sand and rock. Is this normal for cycling?

Ok good to know. When should I start getting worried?

Opinions may differ on algae but I'd suggest that algae alone is nothing to worry about. There is a natural progression and my own personal belief is that people cause more problems trying to "fix" algae etc. than if they just let things develop. (Other than major bacterial outbreaks that can deplete oxygen, of course, but that is not really algae.) And obviously any nitrite or ammonia needs to be addressed ASAP. Just my own $.02. Or whatever that is in bitcoin.

You don't have any animal life in the tank, do you? In that case no need to worry much about anything, just keep track of what happens and record your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrite levels so you know where you're at in the cycling.

You don't have any animal life in the tank, do you? In that case no need to worry much about anything, just keep track of what happens and record your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrite levels so you know where you're at in the cycling.

This.

Just be patient. It's diatomes. You might even get them when your tank is established, or still young by reefing qualifications. The longer you can let your tank cycle, even when your cycle is complete by "traditional" standards, you'll probably have a better chance at sucess. When you do start adding things, do it slowly, and build up your bioload. Essentially once you don't see any more ammonia, or nitrites, and only are reading nitrates (Please note the difference in the nitrites and nitrates) then your cycle is done. This will be the easiest and hardest thing you probably do to your tank. Easy because you just have to sit back, hardest, because you just have to sit back!

Yeah the waiting part sucks. I'll test periodically. And post on here if I have anything else. This was a huge help! Anther thing, my fluval will stop pretty often and not pump and make noise. OR just stop completely. Could it be the motor? Fluval is about a year or more older.

Jon, try taking the impeller and shaft out of the Fluval and check to see that the impeller is rotating freely on the shaft. If it binds, try separating the two and soaking them in vinegar for a few hours. You may have calcium carbonate building up on the shaft that is causing the impeller to slow and bind up.

I can't be sure as I don't know the model that well. The "white stick" sounds like the shaft around which the impeller rotates, though. Does the impeller turn freely? Does the magnet for the impeller look clean and smooth?

The "white stick" is broken. The magnet looks new and the impeller looks a bit worn. So I just ordered new parts. Hopefully that fixes it.

Most likely that'll take care of it.

It was the white stick. The filter is running smooth. And I don't mind waiting.

Any advice on how I should setup and angle my powerheads?

When cycling, it shouldn't make much difference which way the powerheads are pointing as long as the flow reaches all areas of the tank and you're not causing a whole lot of sand to blow around. You're really just evening out the temperature and oxygen levels at this point.