To UV or Not to UV.

Sad Panda

That is the question.

I am drawing the plumbing diagram for my new tank (180) and would like to know your thoughts on UV if you use it. Is it worth the expense (looks like around $300 min for my size tank) and do you feel it works?

I tried a forum search but just found some for sale.

if you chose to do so I have a Aqua UV 40 watt with brand new bulb and quartz sleeve.I was going to use this on my big tank build that never came together (built 2 smaller reefs instead! haha)

Seems like one of the many questions in the hobby where opinions differ quite a bit, without much helpful experimental evidence.

Does UV mess up skimming? We know (I think) that skimmate is largely bacteria, so would killing the bacteria in the water make the skimmer less effective?

Seems like one of the many questions in the hobby where opinions differ quite a bit, without much helpful experimental evidence.

Does UV mess up skimming? We know (I think) that skimmate is largely bacteria, so would killing the bacteria in the water make the skimmer less effective?

all the years in this hobby running UV I have never seen any real effect on skimmers ability of pulling waste out of the water. I know if you are going to keep a lot of expensive fish adding a UV would be a great choice.

I just brought mine on line tonight. I have a 180g tank and in the design of the build, i planned for it with the plumbing. One of my fish was looking a bit sick, so i decided to bring it on line. It can't hurt, right?

I've never done it due to the added expense. I know reputable reefers that use them, and I know reputable reefers that don't.

I would agree with this statement.

It can't hurt, right?

Also this. If you can afford it, I think there will be benefits, I just don't know if they are worth the price.

Another question. Looking at then they look like they would restrict flow if you put it inline with your return or drain, so should it be set up separately to run with its own pump? Anyone have a photo of how they have it installed?

Another question. Looking at then they look like they would restrict flow if you put it inline with your return or drain, so should it be set up separately to run with its own pump? Anyone have a photo of how they have it installed?

you can have it set up to run with it's own pump or run in line or run off a manifold. you want maximum turn over and avoid recycling the same water you just ran through it but having input and output out of same area in sump. check out page 25-28 of the link below for some diagrams from emperor aquatics in case that may help you:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Media/PDF/11775-11782-79286-PondSmartUVSterilizerManual.pdf