Spring Meeting May 20

dbartco

Spring Meeting!!!

Oakton HS in Vienna. Sorry to the MD'ers, but read the reasoning.

still Oakton, Vienna is pretty close to Beltway, DC, and Montgomery County. It is a great centralized location for almost everyone.

on the other hand, has anyone thought of creating a net meeting for those who can't make it to the meeting, perhaps they can call in or log in thru the web and attend a virtual meeting>? or is all this whishful thinking?

get network permission through the firewall at a public school? :lol:

What we are doing is recording our speakers now that we have cameras from macna. We could make mpegs of them, and post possibly if we have room on a server somewhere for ftp download or something.

OK OK OK,

TO ALL MD WAMAS MEMBERS WHO HAVE PAID UP DUE'S COMING TO VA:

FREE ADMISSION AND ALL THE WATER YOU CAN DRINK!

SORRY NO IO SALT PROVIDED!

THOSE without paidup dues, see me! :wig:

perhaps, it is a good day to carpool.

maybe all MD members want to get together and carpool with others in the area, and split the gas.

same goes for VA members.

For the upcoming meeting, does anyone have any ideas old or new that we can do for the memberships? Ex:

#1 Water testing, do we still have the test kits from last meetings?

#2 Frag swaps SET TIME? Everytime we have these meetings, its so hectic. Just finding each other let alone taking the time to actually enjoy the speakers, so how about a set time during the social to say this hour is swap time?

#3 One of the best features of these get togethers is to put a face to the name, what about a round robin around the room for everyone to stand up, say your web name, at least first name, city your from, tank type/size(s) and years experience?

#4 WAMAS has built a nice size account over the last years, but always would be nice to do more, suggestions of things we can look into for raising additional funds that could mean more to the memberships in the future? EX: more variety of shirts, hats, mugs, pens, calendars, public PR bulletin board flyers for all to hand out? Craig, would contacting the local newspaper, TV or radio for free press?

#5 Bigger membership, bring bigger prizes at these functions, If your coming, BRING A FRIEND!

SEE YOU THERE

Howard

dont forget we DO sometimes have meetings in kensington. so officers just make sure we do one up there in the future to "mix it up" a bit :)

Wow, been 3 days for my above post, no feedback ideas?

This is YOUR ORG.

MAKE IT WORK FOR ALL!

ok ok howard (attenion hog!!) i like the round robin idea it will help the new members and not so new members find who they may or may not have trades with. also for everyone to meet everyone since there are new members all the time.

Hate to sound like a wet blanket, but I really think the meetings are too large to try and have everyone introduce themself Mickey Mouse club style. I would think it would eat too much time, not to mention that it is sometimes hard to hear when people have questions. To go around with a mike would add even more time.

Eve, Gary and all,

I agree all things of this nature will take time, but like the saying goes anything worth having is worth working for OR in this case investing the time in!

IMHO, The difference between a friend and a stranger is that a stranger is a friend that you haven't yet been introduced too! One of the true pleasure of life is friendship, something that I value very much these days! Through this little "fish club", I've come to know numerous members that I'm proud to call my friends.

YES, This would take time, but IMHO, it's worth it!

A friend is waiting to say hello!

WAMAS is a group as. My girls say "geeks on aquariums" and if we do nothing else, we will all have a blast and a lot of fun! But sometimes I think we can actually do a little more!

agree with Master Howard, Master Yoda does ... :biggrin:

yes, sometimes it is hard to know who is who, and put a face to a name that in many cases don't match the description on the a.k.a. at WAMAS.

agree with Master Howard, Master Yoda does ... :biggrin:

yes, sometimes it is hard to know who is who, and put a face to a name that in many cases don't match the description on the a.k.a. at WAMAS.

i can carpool with anyone from MD... i live right by white flint mall.

Eve, Gary and all,

I agree all things of this nature will take time, but like the saying goes anything worth having is worth working for OR in this case investing the time in!

Did you just throw me in cause I'm in Maryland (or a trouble-maker :wig: ) or did I voice my opinion about this and just don't remember?

eve didnt you see the heart i howards post?> he may be sweet on you ;)

It's mutual - but alas - we are both committed- or maybe we SHOULD BE committed (to the nearly mental facility) :biggrin:

dont forget we DO sometimes have meetings in kensington. so officers just make sure we do one up there in the future to "mix it up" a bit :)

I know the officers are fully committed to meetings in MD. Despite my attempts to arrange it for this meeting, there simply weren't any suitable (read "darkenable") spaces available that could be easily accessed from both VA and MD. I will have more lead time for future meetings, so we'll surely be back in the Free State soon.

As far as faces and names, it worries me that I could finally be picked out in a police lineup.

As for ideas:

1. How close is 2900 Sutton Rd, Vienna to the nearest metro station? Is it within walking distance (I'm not from VA so not sure). I belong to the American Chemical Society and they have monthly meetings. However, they always place their meetings within walking distance to the metro, usually at a restaurant that also has a dimable room (for presentations). Thus, this should not be difficult to do, however, it would be expensive. But again, don't we have a budget?

2. Meetings only a couple times per year is not enough. I moved here from Utah. Their club (WMAS - Wasatch Marine Aquarist Society) meets every month. Always a good turnout. This would decrease any hectic nature of current meetings.

3. As to introductions - easy low tech solution is big name tags requiring wearers to print in large block letters both real name AND username. Simple.

4. Do meetings also offer time for others to sell stuff other than frags? Can we bring other non-coral livestock to sell? What about dry goods?

My two cents.

As for ideas:

1. How close is 2900 Sutton Rd, Vienna to the nearest metro station? Is it within walking distance (I'm not from VA so not sure). I belong to the American Chemical Society and they have monthly meetings. However, they always place their meetings within walking distance to the metro, usually at a restaurant that also has a dimable room (for presentations). Thus, this should not be difficult to do, however, it would be expensive. But again, don't we have a budget?

2. Meetings only a couple times per year is not enough. I moved here from Utah. Their club (WMAS - Wasatch Marine Aquarist Society) meets every month. Always a good turnout. This would decrease any hectic nature of current meetings.

Oakton HS is about 1/4 mile from Vienna Metro on Orange line

Currently have qtrly meetings and few socials. 4 per year. Last year we hosted macna so that took energy out of doing more. We can look at upping number more; but you have spring meeting may 20 & roadtrip June 3. for the near future.