Growing on the rocks

yauger

Looks like sponge to me.

They are friendly.  Good filter feeders.

If you really want them gone, remove the rock and scrape/brush em off. You can use a tooth brush or a razor blade

I have lots in my tank

Not a sponge I've ever seen before. Any idea if something eats this stuff? It's not hurting anything it's just unsightly

My vote goes for sponge as well. I've had some, what I'd consider, nuisance sponges in the past. Have you tried siphoning it out?

Be careful if you try to remove sponge while the rock is in the tank; the tiniest little bit of sponge that breaks loose can cause a tank-wide problem rather than just one area.

Be careful if you try to remove sponge while the rock is in the tank; the tiniest little bit of sponge that breaks loose can cause a tank-wide problem rather than just one area.

why?

The sponge attaches somewhere. Sponge can grow in darker places, so if the tiny bit gets caught under a coral, be prepared to have sponge growth preventing corals from encrusting. Not all sponges are so bad, but some are a menace.

I have very pretty puffs of highlighter green sponge and  encrusting bright pink sponge, both of which are slow growers and not really a problem. The pink grows between the branches of LPS corals, but because of the way those corals grow, the sponge isn't harming them.

However, I also have dark gray slimy encrusting sponge which takes over really quick and grows on the undersides of corals or around their bases. That ugly stuff is is growing in all sorts of places now, which I am attributing to my attempts to remove it, since bits do manage to get away from me. It's also like glue - if two pieces of rubble are touching each other, this sponge hops over and binds the pieces together so tight that they are too hard to get apart with that slimy stuff on them.  I don't think it's possible to rid the tank of it.