McCoskers Wrasse and Jumping

AUFishGuy

I am wanting my next fish to be a male McCoskers Wrasse. I do not have a lid and have heard all too many times about Wrasses jumping to their deaths. I do not have any type of lid on my tank, 90 gallon. I do have a canopy that is open only on the back of the canopy. I really dont want to add glass tops so i want to see what my options are.

If I were to take plexiglass or wood and enclose the back of the canopy would that suffice.

I have seen where other reefers have just made a screen lid but i have heard of the wrasses still jumping through those.

+1 and it's on Amazon as well. (Not Prime, but pretty fast)

I had a plastic top on my QT, that had a tiny fraction of an opening (<1") because of how it was a bit warped. Didn't think he could fit through, but I found my wrasse on the floor one morning. 

My display has 1/4" clear netting with an eggcrate frame so I could cut it to go around my overflow/bulkheads and still cover everything. It sits on 4 little plastic clips for rimless tanks.

I bought my frame and tools from lowes. If you have someone near you that has the tools you may not need to even purchase those. The screen can be bought online and in some LFS's. It's cheap and dosnt take too long. Took me a little longer making mine because I kept trying to make the screen too tight.

Thanks that seems like the way to go. I guess there is also the worry of it and other fish jumping into the overflow. Can i use gutter guard to fence off the overflow. would the metal be an issue in SW

They sell the white mesh and spline at quantum reefs. Had to buy the frame from Home Depot. Have it sitting on a few clips on my rimless. I've seen my firefish trio picking on each other and jumping into it a few times, so it's already more or less paid for itself. 

What about just using the netting to cover the canopy opening in the back? You could probably affix it with velcro somehow. That way it wouldn't interfere in feeding or maintenance.

Sorry if someone suggested that already...

Any wrasse and you will want a lid. All fish can (and usually will) jump. As suggested, quantum carries the netting locally. You can get the frame and tools at Home Depot for less than $20. I put a bunch of netting into the club at some stage, I've not seen it cycled around, would be nice if it was still somewhere, can't remember who snagged it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's plastic gutter guard as well, you can definitely use. I bought a roll at Ace and it's lasted me years through tons of different contraptions. 

Mesh netting, gutter guard, egg crate, and zip-ties, you can do anything.

There's plastic gutter guard as well, you can definitely use. I bought a roll at Ace and it's lasted me years through tons of different contraptions. 

Mesh netting, gutter guard, egg crate, and zip-ties, you can do anything.

I've used gutter guard in 90 degree overflows rolled up to keep anything from floating down, but what did you use it for as a lid? With the plastic tubing (that you ply down with a roller) and the metal frame, were you able to hold it into place? If so, gutter guard would be an AWESOME top.

i used cicada netting, from the last big cicada blow through. It was also awesome. It was super fine, and durable. That's what I was mentioning above.