Waterproofing floor?

freshfins

I am looking for a good solution to protect the wood floor under my 75g. Can anyone recommend a best solution? I was thinking about a rubber or plastic mat/tray, but I'm not finding a good one.

Maybe a sheet of linoleum? I bet the habitat for humanity re-store has partial sheets for sale. They have all kinds of open box flooring.

I bought a heavy duty mat that they typically used for treadmills.  If you look on eBay they have a bunch in different thicknesses.  This will protect the floor underneath and not look horrible on top.  If you use sheet vinyl or Linoleum, the weight of the tank will stamp the texture of the bottom into your hardwood floor.  

Make a wood/plywood tray to set the stand in (if you don't want to retrofit your current stand like this) and roll in some tub/shower liner after using contact cement or silicone... It's a thick grey plastic/rubber p, you caulk the seems and all I'd good and waterproof :) I did this in the bottom of my stand thinking this is where I likely to have the most water issues...

Home depot sell black PVC sheet. You can cut it to size and glue it to the inside of the tank

Make a wood/plywood tray to set the stand in (if you don't want to retrofit your current stand like this) and roll in some tub/shower liner after using contact cement or silicone... It's a thick grey plastic/rubber p, you caulk the seems and all I'd good and waterproof :) I did this in the bottom of my stand thinking this is where I likely to have the most water issues...

This is the best idea I think. If your tank cracks, you've got bigger problems. If I ever do a tank again (large) it will be on either cement and in wall with a fish room, or with a tile floor or slate floor, with a drain close by. Make sure you have enough wood flooring to patch up any damage. I had to do this in the condo I bought aprox 4 days after moving the tank in.

Insurance.

Got me new wood floors fo free.

We don't all have your ballin' luck bro. Plus, I remember that was a lot of time and effort on your part as well, when in the end, didn't you flood with your RO/DI?

But insurance is also a great idea.

We don't all have your ballin' luck bro. Plus, I remember that was a lot of time and effort on your part as well, when in the end, didn't you flood with your RO/DI?

But insurance is also a great idea.

Yea it was rodi but I tried blaming it on the condo building.

Honest mistake. I really didn't remember I flooded the bathroom like a month prior.

Edited by brad908

Had a Bc29 on a wood floor for years and when I took it out the floore was fine but:

I put polyurethane on floor before installing tank and diligently cleaned up every trace of salt water with fresh water wipe followed by dry towel. During water changes I covered floor with plastic and towels.

Edited by sen5241b