Controllers similar to APEX

thakki

Just wanted to start a new topic on this. I am copying some of the suggestions from AlanM on this from a different post...I would like to hear more on the options.

Apex is truly the easiest and most complete.  I found it to be obtuse programming some seemingly simple things, but this has gotten better with Fusion.  It can do a lot, but if it doesn't already support the function you can't force it to do it.  I ran up against a wall trying to get it to do what I wanted.

Fishbit looks super cool, but is, as of yet, unobtainable.

Bluefish is awesome for lights at the moment.  Outlets and sensors are planned, but not quite there yet.

ReefAngel is kind of DIY, but extremely flexible if you feel like putting in the work and code and don't care about extremely polished bells and whistles.  If you just want to use it like you would an Apex it can be really easy. If you wanted it to answer the front door for you it can actually do that, you just have to write the code. 8)  I love it.

Digital Aquatics is still around.  For some reason not many here use it.

Extreme DIY is available with Jarduino and others where you'd buy bits from ebay/china and Digikey and put your own together and load on some code.

I used the Digital Aquatics for years. Very simple and easy to use. They don't have as many add-on options as Neptune, but it does get the job done. Very dependable and I hear they have a new version coming out.

Oh I thought you had more to contribute when you said plenty of alternatives even after Alan replied with a good list of options.

Your topic is pretty vague. If you want a list of controllers similar to Apex, you've gotten a hefty list of options, I can't think of any other controller to contribute to your topic. My experience is with Neptune Apex, I've not used any others.

Think of it like buying a car, there are thousands (OK, not so many controller options) of brands and styles for you to choose from, but it's all going to be based upon what you know from the research you've done beforehand, and what you're going to use the car for? Are you looking for a truck to haul around work equipment, or maybe you need a safe rated four door sedan for your family? Your question pretty much says "What are some cars similar to Fords?" and you've gotten that list.

I think it would further your discussion if you explained the functions that you were looking to perform on your tank with a controller. The reason most folks end up with Apex, is because like Alan mentioned, it's the easiest, and most complete. It does have it's own script, or I guess it did, which Alan also mentioned can be side stepped with Fusion. Again, it would be helpful to know what you wanted to use your controller for? Do you want to figure out how to do a water change with only your controller? Maybe you want your skimmer pump to shut off if it it happened to overflow? Maybe you want to have your auto feeder drop food into your tank every time you open your hood, or when the lights come on? Most of these controllers come with a learning curve, and unless you get something like Fishbit, which also mentioned, is unobtainable at this time, will have to put in a bit of time to understand it and figure out the best way to achieve your settings. 

Your responses are not helping too...most of the times it's noise or personal attack...the point I was trying to make was if you wanted to suggest opening a new thread in a different place...you could just say that...but you said there are many options but failed to list at least one. Recently you said same thing about my zoa ID thread...you said the pictures were not clear enough to ID them and you talked down fellow member who said they were good enough...just that he didn't know what they were. Same thing here as well...looks like others members seem to understand my question...except you. Pls try to be courteous to others in the forum.

It mainly depends on what you need them for. I have a DA RKL that turns on my lights and regulates my heaters. I don't have any other options that I need it for. I like to keep it simple

Your responses are not helping too.. most of the times it's noise or personal attack.

I guess we will just have to disagree on that. I elaborated above, and you chose not to respond to anything helpful I had to say. I have been polite, and offered you help, directions, and resources.

the point I was trying to make was if you wanted to suggest opening a new thread in a different place...you could just say that..

I asked you to do that as a moderator. The reason I asked you to do that was because it was a vendor feedback forum. I did just say that. You have been heckling me since I asked you to open another thread, so here are the well thought out responses to help you figure out what direction you would like to go in. If you keep prodding me, I will respond, no point needed.

but you said there are many options but failed to list at least one.

That's why you started this thread. Look at all the options. I don't know it all. I don't even know much. We are here to help each other learn.

Recently you said same thing about my zoa ID thread...you said the pictures were not clear enough to ID them

That has nothing to do with this, but yes, I did state that it would help if you had some clearer pictures. I then also gave you some great links to help ID zoanthids. I hope you were able to use them and figure out what you were looking for.

you talked down fellow member who said they were good enough...just that he didn't know what they were.

They stated that he thought they were great pictures. I politely disagreed, and I did not talk down to anybody. Are we not allowed to disagree?

Same thing here as well...looks like others members seem to understand my question...except you.

You are not even asking a question. You are literally asking for a list of other controllers. Or based on your title, offering a list of controllers? The only reason I replied to this is because you kept poking at me. So I gave you all the tools you need to figure out what you're looking for (see my last post, #4) and you didn't use any of them. There are some begging questions in there that really could help, if you choose to answer them.

Pls try to be courteous to others in the forum.

I feel that I am. These are my responses after taking some time to think about how I would like to respond to you. I would ask that you do the same, and stop accusing me of making noise or personal attacks. If you would like to get somewhere with your actual question at hand, how about we start over. I would like to help you, and I hope that you would like to help me if I would ever have questions that you knew the answer to! If you can answer these two questions

1.) Why do you want a controller

2.) What do you want your controller to do? (specific functions)

then it will be much easier to help you narrow down your choices.

If you're still feeling slighted, go ahead and PM me. I'm not here to attack you, and I'm not here to argue with you. We are all here to learn, I'd like to keep it that way. Cheers.

I don't have time to respond like you did...and yes we are allowed to disagree and I am disagreeing to everything you said on this post and other posts. If you really have time go back and check on some of your responses on this forum...they are not so welcome and helpful.

It's unfortunate that you only took away from this what you wanted. Regardless, I wish you success with whatever controller you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk