Red filter for Gopro, which one?

TonyInVa

If you are only snorkeling, your probably don't need one. The red filter only becomes important when you go below 15' or so and really lose colors. Most people when snorkeling only go down for short, shallow dives so the periodic light blue hue isn't much of an issue. Snorkeling with the filter, most of your video will actually have too much red while at the surface. It's when you are diving and spending the entire time at 30' or below that the filter helps.

Depends on where you go. My wife and I go to the USVI so every picture normally comes out blue blue. I brought a red GoPro filter and our pics came out perfect.

We only snorkel and dive down for pics.

10dc91dc4ba896a33b1f4be7ea1812cf.jpg

That was taken with a Silver Hero4 with a red lens

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on where you go. My wife and I go to the USVI so every picture normally comes out blue blue. I brought a red GoPro filter and our pics came out perfect.

We only snorkel and dive down for pics.

10dc91dc4ba896a33b1f4be7ea1812cf.jpg

That was taken with a Silver Hero4 with a red lens

Which filter did you use? where was this taken?

Looks like it would do the same thing. I wish mine was a little less red since most of our pics are in shallow water from 5' to 10'. Sometimes it takes too much blue out an you forget the water is actually really blue. Next time I am probably going to buy an assortment of red filters. I hear they have some flip type filters in eBay that work well. Chinese cheap versions, but I am no National Geographic photographer. They would probably be fine if you take care of them.

I looked at both the cheap Chinese and the flip one. From what I heard was the cheap ones arent consistant, I would hate not to have good pictures. The only issue I have seen with the flip ones is they need to be attached with screws and are not as easy to remove as the non-screw in type. I will be getting the Polar Pro  shallow filter. You are more then welcome to barrow it if you ever want to.