Graphs are fun

DaveS

So I took my CaRx and Kalk stirrer offline for cleaning and left it offline for a bit. Here is how my tank changed over a few days.

37506069f03c2643f1ee39d0e5b456be.jpg

Looks like my tank drops 1 dkh a day. You can see how the natural pH swings get larger each day. If I used Kalk only, I would need to evaporate 2.6 gallons a day.

Interesting.  As it loses buffering capability the diurnal swing gets bigger and bigger.  Very cool data.

Yup, they say a picture is worth 1000 words. I figured this graph would be useful to help people better understand how pH changes during the day, how alk and pH interact and how coral consumption can be pretty significant as those little frag grow up.

Dave, do you see changes in pH when you are home vs when you aren't or when windows are open vs when they are closed?  

Maybe your place is big enough to absorb those changes, but mine is very noticeable when we are home for a week with the windows shut or when the weather gets nice and we open them up.  I increase about 0.15 in peaks and troughs of pH when the windows are open.

very cool! Did your main lights come on just before 4p and go off at 12? what about your Refugium?

Lights come on around 4:30 or 5 and turn off around 12:30-1am. No fuge. But this graph helps to explain why to switch the light for the fuge.

Dave, do you see changes in pH when you are home vs when you aren't or when windows are open vs when they are closed?  

Maybe your place is big enough to absorb those changes, but mine is very noticeable when we are home for a week with the windows shut or when the weather gets nice and we open them up.  I increase about 0.15 in peaks and troughs of pH when the windows are open.

There is always someone here so I don't really notice a difference due to humans. But we have a ventless gas space heater/fireplace that is basically like a big gas stove. In the winter and it's colder downstairs, I can definitely see the pH curve change when that is turned on. The combustion from the gas fireplace increases CO2 in the ambient air which gets pulled into the tank. I showed ppl the change in the curve and how the heater affect ambient air and now the heater gets used a lot less...