Movin On Up....Red Sea Reefer 250

So I've read many of your guys and gals posts and have spent many a nights admiring your tanks and builds. I started with a Nuvo 30g last year that I picked up from Pizzaguy and love the trade. Living in a condo didn't want to go to large on a bigger tank so once I saw the Red Sea Reefer 250 I was intrigued and then I saw it set up at MACNA and was sold. So I'd like to include you all on this little journey and keep the good times Rollin!!

post-2635370-0-53409200-1443242225_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-54965900-1443242247_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-44082100-1443242267_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-72765700-1443242305_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-37425200-1443242322_thumb.jpg

tank is wet!!! need about 6 more gallons to finish up and about 20-25lb more of rock to add....then on the break this bad boy in.

will upload some pics very soon!! everything about building this thing has been as easy as building some Ikea furniture.  VERY SIMPLE!!!  Not too sure what is going to happen to the Nuvo??....eeerrrr not too sure yet.  will def keep it on this forum though if sold.  gotta keep it in the family!!!!!  :bb:

Wait...were you asking about the Nuvo or the Reefer?

Nuvo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I Bought The System...Skimmer Is An AquaOne....Does Really Well...Light Is An Early Generation AI Nano....Does Well But If You're Going To Want Some Good Growth In There....Don't Be Shy About Spending A Little More...It'll Be Worth It.

AAAAALRIGHTYY!!,

Tank has been fully running for about 1 week.  So I am missing a bit of rock...waiting on about 2/3 of my rock left but wanted to have SOMETHING in there rolling already so please don't grill me on the scaping...my interior design skills a tad better than that.  So far overall experience with the tank....Awesome!! Extremely silent with the overflow design Red Sea has.  As for current equipment...

• 1x - Radion xr15pro...(hooked up to it's RMS and a reeflink)
  • 1x - MP10 
  • 20lbs - of Real Reef Rock 4th Gen...
  • 1x - Octo 110 Space Saver Skimmer
  • 40lbs - Pink Fiji Sand
  • Eheim 2400 Return Pump

Left to add is

• 1 more Radion...decided to go with 2 xr15's so spread them out rather than one xr30
  • 1 More MP10
  • 30-40lbs of rock 
  • Heaters
  • Phosphate Reactor

Yes....the wiring will be put in check. The Space Saver Skimmer depth is about juuuuuust about in line with the specs of the sump and skimmer needs.  After i can finally add the last of the equipment....time to blow up some ammonia.  then i might add some of those things that grow under water and the other things that breath under water as well.  The inhabitants of the Nuvo have decided to flourish the last few weeks and i think it's because they see the Penthouse across the room and and are putting on a show to make it to the Big Red Sea Stage.  ANY words of advice, warnings, past experiences would be greatly appreciated by the way!!  Thanks y'all!!

post-2635370-0-57208700-1444512926_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-05607500-1444512938_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-02123900-1444512945_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-93953800-1444512950_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-02822800-1444513039_thumb.jpg

I would cycle it for as long as possible before moving the other tank in there. It's tough, but it always pays off. It's looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Doctor is in!!!! Good bacteria has been dropped in....20lbs more of rock are in....JBJ Titanium heater is in...1 more power head to go....1 more light to go....bigger life forms on the way!!! Still debating about the aqua scaping...possibly move the shelf higher?....bigger cave on the left side?....kinda like it as is....let me hear it ladies and gents.

post-2635370-0-68571400-1445209995_thumb.jpeg

post-2635370-0-62473800-1445210066_thumb.jpeg

post-2635370-0-93975800-1445210123_thumb.jpeg

Your rocks look like my rocks! I like flat pieces. I get frags on plugs, break off the pointy thing and they sit perfectly on the flat rock.

I would cycle it for as long as possible before moving the other tank in there. It's tough, but it always pays off. It's looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 In addition dump the ATO container , not worth the trouble, and MOD the filter sock hold to accept normal filter socks. Please try to cycle only with your blue LEDs if you must have light. Just my .02

Forgot to mention mod your return pipe to a dual discharge (Y)

Edited by DCReefer1964

Thanks sooo much for the info DCREEF!!!!!! Ok next thing on agenda....CUC recommendations....what to avoid what to make sure is in there..went through the green algae phase which has now moved on to the brown phase. Where do you ladies/gents usually do your CUC shopping?? Thanks!!

dont get a lot of hermits. Max 10 tiny ones for that small of a tank, turbos always good, astreas okay, margaritas good....

Too small for a sand siftin star so later on you'll need some zombie snails (always forget the names of these,lol)

And I LOVE cleaner or peppermint shrimp, but that depends in what your putting in it...

And as far as local vendors, I get most of my stuff from IC or Quantums, but for purposes of stocking I order from reef cleaners.org

His prices are good and always gives you a few extra,,,

And he's got really good macro algae so too :)

Edited by smallreef

• 3 months later...

Update on my 250 build.  It's been quite fun so far!! System is awesome....as long as you get the ATO to work...which rarely does.  Pain in the Ass most of the time.  will probably be my next fix on this system, especially since I feel like it was has been a main culprit to a lot random algae issues aside from good flow patterns.  Both lights have been operational for about 2 weeks now and had to rearrange the torches since the lighting was much better now and they were placed higher before we started bleaching out a tad.  But they are starting to get their color back gradually down on the sand bed where they seem A TON happier.  Trying to save a little acan upfront there but other than that everything has gradually been flourishing tweaking here and there.  Got rid of the Red Sea Nylon socks and dropped in the Felt socks and the tank took a turn for the best.  Learned a major lesson about socks.....CHANGE THEM FREQUENTLY!!!  but i'm still a rookie and i'm def a person that likes to learn the hard way but I DO LEARN!!  Hopefully you guys enjoy.  Any feed back is always awesome!!!  Thanks Ladies n Gents!!

post-2635370-0-62482400-1455677850_thumb.jpg

post-2635370-0-97304700-1455677917_thumb.jpg

Watch that GSP on the left. If it gets onto that rock, you can forget about putting anything else there.

You plan on going SPS eventually? I can see your rock structure with SPS branching off it very nicely. Keep in mind that tabling piece on the right will shade a good portion of your real estate, so make the most of it on top. That nem will eventually take over the whole thing.

Looking good!