Red slime problem

jon_703

I've been in the hobby for about 4 months now. And for the past couple weeks I've had this red slime. I used chemi-clean, which helped but the slime came back. I did the 20% water change like the directions said.

Not sure what to do next if the chemi-clean won't help.

I'm not using a ro/di actually. Blue lights on over night for about 8-9 hours, and white and blue on during day for about 10 hours.

Everything was fine until 2 weeks. My water parameters are perfect as well.

I'm not using a ro/di actually. Blue lights on over night for about 8-9 hours, and white and blue on during day for about 10 hours.

Everything was fine until 2 weeks. My water parameters are perfect as well.

My bet is your getting high silicates and phosphates from your tap water.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RO/DI should fix the problem? I'm trying to find one now that can support up to a 75g

Get the cheapest 4 stage ro/DI unit from brs and a 1 micron chlorimines filter to replace the carbon block it comes with. I would bet it will fix the problem. But it will take time for the silicates and phosphates to come down.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree that rodi is a must. You can go to walmart or the grocery store and pick up distilled water also. You may find that the difference in cost is negligible (unless you don't have to pay for water at your home.) I would recommend a couple of big water changes to get you started.

As for the cyano issue. Be patient. "Wait and see" is good with a new tank - rarely is the chemical solution a good first approach. Your tank will go through lots of cycles for the next year or more. Cut down on the feedings a bit and clean up whatever you can manually now and then.

• 1 month later...

Are you on a well or treated city water?  If you are on a well there shouldn't be any need for the chloramine specific filter, the regular carbon cartridge would be fine.  If you are on treated municipal water that uses chloramines instead of regular chlorine for bacterial control, then you definitely need the chloramine filter.  Nothing else will be as effective for removing that crap.  Make sure your filter setup has a final DI chamber and you should be good.

Go with one of the 75 gpd RO/DI units from Bulk Reef Supply.  I started with a whirlpool lowes unit, added on a final DI canister.  It worked, but it took 4 hours to make 5 gallons of clean water . . . .

What type of lights do you have?  If LED's are they programmable?  I recently found that cranking up the red spectrum puts a dent in algae growth.  This isn't good for the xooxanthellae in coral so this is not recommended if you have coral in your tank.  

Otherwise, a huge mistake i made when first starting out was to assume the return provided enough flow and water circulation.  Algae and bacteria love idle water where nutrients can gather.  If you don't have a good power head to circulate water, algae and bacteria are bound to grow out of control.

Hope this helps!!  Stick with it!!

Brad