Lighting Question

jmessineo1

Hi Guys and Gals,

My name is Jason, I am new to the forum and hobby, I have been very active in the African Cichlid Hobby. and I am now in the process of selling some tanks, and finishing up the purchases and planning for my new NUVO 40 reef. I am looking for a light recommendation for that system. I plan to keep LPS, Softies, Leathers, easier to keep. though I would like to keep a BTA when the tank matures. All information would be awesome. Thank in advance!

I would get a 4 bulb T5.  It's 16" front to back not counting the rear chamber.  A 6 bulb would fit, but would be overkill for your stocking plans IMO.  You could always add a reefbrite to the front angled inwards.

I'd also suggest t5, but if you want LED it depends on how much money you want to spend. I'd suggest the evergrows, but if you can afford it, the radions are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a search for reef led on ebay and you will find a lot of lights like the one in the link below. There are lots of these fixtures floating around...I have 5 of them but I would prefer a programmable fixture. These put out decent light.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/165W-Dimmable-Full-Spectrum-LED-Aquarium-Grow-Lights-Marine-FishTank-Reef-Coral-/181265357565?nav=SEARCH

Edited by Rob A

• 1 month later...

Love my AI Hydra52's.  I prefer them over Radion's any day.

If your just doing softies and a nem, a cheapy ebay LED will.  

If you want to grow SPS (Acro's, Monti's, Birdsnest, Psamacora) it would benefit you to invest a little more and go for a higher quality LED array with better ability to provide a lot of light in the 400nm - 480nm range.  

I recently pulled a lot of the red spectrum light out of my map (previously the equivalent of 14k, now the equivalent of 20k) and have experienced much better growth and coloration from my SPS, polyps, and LPS.

• 2 weeks later...

I would subscribe to BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) YouTube channel. They are giving in-depth description on lighting with a 5 week video. They just did T5 and to be honest I'm considering them for my next tank build. Although 90% of the hobby is going LED (including myself) it's pros and cons to all of them. I think long term success and satisfying results a combo of T5 and LED fixture combo is the best route to go. LED's are still improving themselves every year seems like and T5 are already proven just cost more in the long term sense because of the bulbs replacements. MH needs chillers and bulb replacements which get very costly and hot might I add. I currently have a Radion XR15w Pro which cost me about $400 for my 50 gallon cube (24x24x20) and it covers the whole tank no dark spots.

Edited by WCorbin82

MH needs chillers and bulb replacements which get very costly and hot might I add. 

The chiller thing is a misnomer.  You can get a chiller but here you can get away with 1-2x 6 inch fans for cooling which is less power usage.  As for bulbs, replacing halide bulbs are cheaper than replacing all 4-8 bulbs on a t5 unit.

and for winter time the heat is not necessarily a bad thing.  the heating from the lights causes your heater to run less. so less power consumption from that as well.

This is true but the cost of a chiller the cheapest you will get new is around $400 so add that with the cost of a MH fixture you spending about $700 at the least. Radion or other LED fixtures is less than that and last longer (no bulb replacements). This just my opinion but small tanks and medium size tanks I would go with LED large tanks I would go with a Combo T5 and LED (LED for the programmable options and shimmer and T5 for the growth and overall health of the livestock. I think LED are more for the owner rather than the livestock as far as look and energy saving on electrical Bill . T5 can grow just about everything. MH also raises your electrical Bill

IMO, there is no contender for growth from metal halides, but the heat and electric costs are something that I'm not willing to deal with. Granted, I've always been in smaller living situations, where a 150w Halide pretty much eliminates the need to turn on the heat. Forget about summer time in this area, but that's just me.

Frankly, I love the looks of T5, the crispness of it is enjoyable. I don't mind the bulb replacement and the heat (still give off some heat, that is not escaped completely.) My favorite lighting is hands down a combo of T5 with LED, I've done both heavy on the T5 and light on the LED, and I've gone heavy on the LED and light on the T5, both combos, aestheticly, were equally pleasing.

LEDs, I believe they are the best long term bang for your buck. They grow corals, and they color, maybe not as quickly and as fast as the other options, but you don't have to deal with the heat and high electric costs. Like I mentioned, I've always been willing to sacrafice the shadowing and slower growth.

At the end of the day, I'm with one of our members Rob, who will tell you:
"It's light, it grows things."