Looking for a tank to put in a school

DaveS

My daughter is going to a small private school and we just got the approval to install a reef tank there for their science program.  The preferred location can accommodate a foot print up to 48"x27".  That is the max size and nothing says we have to use the entire space.  Anyone have a suggestion for a tank to go in that space?  Acrylic would be preferred but not required.

If someone has something for sale or to donate please let me know.  They are a charity and I can get you a receipt.

Once I figure out the tank, I will likely ask for other equipment donations so hang on to that older equipment for a bit longer!

dave, 

i've got a genx pump and an iwaki that are for sale but I'm happy to donate to a good cause.  drop me a note when you know what you need

that is awesome of you to take on. what is the ideal size? i'll poke around to see what I can help with.

Heh, the tank at her previous school was super popular and is still doing well so I figured we could try it again.

The science teacher was saying "bigger the better" but the Headmaster wasn't so sure.  I know a 110 or 90 would fit in the footprint but something like a 40 breeder or 60G DD would be fine too.  The 48" part is pushing things a little bit.

dave, 

i've got a genx pump and an iwaki that are for sale but I'm happy to donate to a good cause.  drop me a note when you know what you need

Awesome Roni.  I'll keep that in mind once we figure out the tank.

btw, you saw this right?  obviously not free but a fantastic deal and a great size:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/74828-shallow-80-tank-and-stand/

I did not see that, thanks for pointing out.  Sent a PM so we'll see.  It's not acrylic but is a great size and includes the stand which I forgot to mention is also needed.  Let's see!

Dave, if you are willing to drive out to Bowie, I have a 50g tank and stand I can donate. You can pm me for more info if you are interested.

Still looking around.  I have gotten some very very generous offers and it just goes to show how great WAMAS is.  The school isn't in a rush so have some time to find the "perfect" tank.  Something like a 50 breeder is kinda feeling like it may be the right combination of depth/height for the footprint.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is going to a small private school and we just got the approval to install a reef tank there for their science program.  The preferred location can accommodate a foot print up to 48"x27".  That is the max size and nothing says we have to use the entire space.  Anyone have a suggestion for a tank to go in that space?  Acrylic would be preferred but not required.

If someone has something for sale or to donate please let me know.  They are a charity and I can get you a receipt.

Once I figure out the tank, I will likely ask for other equipment donations so hang on to that older equipment for a bit longer!

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/75090-55-gallon-tank-and-metal-stand-25/ Really cheap too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update.  Thanks to the generosity of RW09903 who donated a 45 tank, stand, hood and pump and Phil at Reef eScapes who donated a sump, skimmer and lights we are off and running.

The tank has been filled with water to make sure there are no problems.  I'll probably be doing some plumbing tweaks on it for a bit.

We are still looking for a few items if anyone has them laying around.  They could use a decent heater, sand and submersible return pump.

Also, the 45 is a good place for them to start but they will probably grow out of it very soon given it's height and small footprint.  If everyone could keep an eye out for a ~60 or standard 90 that would be great.

Thanks to all of WAMAS for the generous donations.  I know the kids at the school are super excited.  We will get a tank thread going here very soon.