Gorgonian or a hitchhiker?

thakki

Over the weekend, I picked up this zoa frag at MACNA from one of the vendors...it has this tiny coral looking thing in the middle with polyps...when I asked the person selling it..he said it was a gorgonian in the middle. Just wanted a second opinion.

post-2635219-0-82381400-1441813107_thumb.jpg

Definitely not a branching gorgonian, maybe a weird variant of an encrusting species.

Sure looks like Xenia to me.  Why so certain that it isn't?

I used to have pulsing xenia in my old tank...this one doesn't look anything like that. This has very tiny polys and more like a rubbery look. Dont know how to put it...but one thing I am sure of is that its not xenia. I was worried if its aptasia...it was on a branch...I searched for gorgonians online...seems more like it...the guy who sold this to me was very confident that its gorgonian. Just wanted to double check.

Edited by thakki

Looks like Xenia to me too, but I agree it's very small to be Xenia.  It's not aiptasia.  Maybe the start of some kind of clove polyp?  No idea if it would be a gorgonian yet.

There are many kinds of Xenia, or maybe it's a star polyp or a clove polyp like Alan suggests.

Edited by mogurnda

Not a gorg, I'm fairly sure of that. Another vote for Xenia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like Xenia to me too, but I agree it's very small to be Xenia.  It's not aiptasia.  Maybe the start of some kind of clove polyp?  No idea if it would be a gorgonian yet.

This is exactly what I think too...its very small to be xenia. Thanks Alan. 

I actually bought a frag of clove polyp too at MACNA...again it doesn't seem like that.

At this point...as long as its not aptasia I am good. Really doesn't matter what it is.

:laugh: Cant believe so many people think that its xenia.

BTW, when I bought it...it did have a tiny branch without polyps...after few hrs I started seeing one by one....now there are 4 to 5 polyps on the gorgonian (sorry I am starting to call it as gorgonian inspite of so many votes of xenia).

This is exactly what I think too...its very small to be xenia. Thanks Alan. 

I actually bought a frag of clove polyp too at MACNA...again it doesn't seem like that.

At this point...as long as its not aptasia I am good. Really doesn't matter what it is.

:laugh: Cant believe so many people think that its xenia.

BTW, when I bought it...it did have a tiny branch without polyps...after few hrs I started seeing one by one....now there are 4 to 5 polyps on the gorgonian (sorry I am starting to call it as gorgonian inspite of so many votes for xenia).

I have an encrusting gorgonian that looks a lot like that. The bad news is, if it's the same as I have, it's liable to eventually crowd out those zoas.

I have an encrusting gorgonian that looks a lot like that. The bad news is, if it's the same as I have, it's liable to eventually crowd out those zoas.

Oops!

Encrusting gorgonian? it is like hard branch?

I had two different types of xenia with different growth patterns/look - and some types don't pulse, right?  Check out this link.

It definitely may be something else, but xenia can be very tiny as new growth.  I enjoy those types of hitchhikers, but I am guessing they may be unhappy with each other at some point!  Maybe once it grows out some it will become more apparent.