Pink/Maroon "Algae" Growing On Bottom

blueribbon

I have a 30 gal. tank with 5 fish and some soft corals.  In the last few days, I have 3 spots about 3" - 4" in diameter, which have a pink-maroon color very thin growth on the bottom.  I sure don't want it spreading.

Thoughts on what it is?  What to do to get rid of it?

It's cyanobacteria, aka red slime algae.  It will likely come and go if you have reasonably good water quality.  My tank is currently in a "come" phase after having none for months.  If it gets really bad you should siphon it out with a turkey baster when the lights are on full blast and it is biggest.  If it starts growing over corals it will irritate them.  The Red Slime Remover powder allegedly works if you use it as directed, but it did nothing for me.  YMMV.

Conchs are the only creatures that I have ever sem eat cyano. I had 2 mow down a 60 gallon tank in a few days on the sandbed. They are fairly cheap and easy to keep too. Got mine from quantum reefs.

Conchs are the only creatures that I have ever sem eat cyano. I had 2 mow down a 60 gallon tank in a few days on the sandbed. They are fairly cheap and easy to keep too. Got mine from quantum reefs.

I had it for awhile increased cleanup team and added diamond goby that moves all my sand around and don't see it anymore. Maybe gobie is burying it lol.

I had it for awhile increased cleanup team and added diamond goby that moves all my sand around and don't see it anymore. Maybe gobie is burying it lol.

+1 I had diamond goby before it did a very good job of stirring up the sand bed. It also put the sand all over place including buried my corals.

I would start by siphoning it out and possibly adding something to stir up sandbed(as long as it doesn't increase bio load much making problem worse) red slime remover will get rid of bad red bacteria but the downside is it can mess with the good bacteria consuming the nasties. Possible ammonia spike is Too much risk for me

I would start by siphoning it out and possibly adding something to stir up sandbed(as long as it doesn't increase bio load much making problem worse) red slime remover will get rid of bad red bacteria but the downside is it can mess with the good bacteria consuming the nasties. Possible ammonia spike is Too much risk for me

+1 to manual removal.