I highly recommend...

Larry Grenier

Even if you don't have a fuge or even a sump, stuff a wad of cheato in your tank. I looked closely at mine (just a wad in the main tank) and it's full of pods! Some adults and several tiny ones. It makes a great pod-breeding zone! Fish predators can't penetrate enough to deplete the population. Just saw my first mini brittle star crawl out too. Heck, I might even get a mandrin one of these days. Anyone near Manassas want a handful, just stop-by.

Guest clownfish4

Agreed, it is a wonderful asset, but I would NEVER add it to a main display. It grows fast and will cover your rock like every other macro.

Guest alex wlazlak

what about putting it in a bak-pak CPR??? ive got one of those and dont really have room or am able to add a sump with my stand i have now. think itll work just as well as a sump or would a MJ 1200 pass too much water through? i also have an aquaclear filter on the back of my tank too, thats got a lot of room inside to probly add some macro, the only thing is not alot of light gets in, will that matter?

what about putting it in a bak-pak CPR??? ive got one of those and dont really have room or am able to add a sump with my stand i have now. think itll work just as well as a sump or would a MJ 1200 pass too much water through? i also have an aquaclear filter on the back of my tank too, thats got a lot of room inside to probly add some macro, the only thing is not alot of light gets in, will that matter?

as far as the light...go to home depot and get a clip on light, its incandescent but should work

Guest clownfish4

Actually, cheato does not stick or grasp onto the rocks like most macro's do. Its like a big tangle of thin plastic. I just pull the whole bunch out, pull off a portion and put it back into the tank.

Aquaclear as a 'fuge

Interesting, because I have had suffered through the whole mess. Had it tangled all over my rock and I pulled it all off, and a couple weeks later I could see a noticable growth.

The stuff I'm referring to is Chaetomorpha. The same stuff they are selling on this page.. It's been my experience that it stays in a mat and doesn't stick to the rockwork unlike most Caulerpa species just as this vendor claims.

Interesting, because I have had suffered through the whole mess. Had it tangled all over my rock and I pulled it all off, and a couple weeks later I could see a noticable growth.

I've had this problem with Caulerpa but not Chaetomorpha.

Guest clownfish4

I've had this problem with caulerpa, halimeda, and chaeto. Maybe it just kind of got weaved into the rock but not attached?

I've had this problem with caulerpa, halimeda, and chaeto. Maybe it just kind of got weaved into the rock but not attached?

Yea, especially if you have the real narly/branchy stuff.

I've got some of the bad macroalgea that everyone says not to get and in an HOB fuge with a clip on light from home depot and regular bulb. However, I've noticed really nasty mats of blag sludge/algea growing on the sides. Is this because of my light? I also placed a small powerhead in the fuge to increas circulation, but the sludge continues to grow (it is really slimmy, and very black). Anyone else have this problem? I need cheato bad. And I keep contacting people for it but can never scrape 30 minutes together to go pick it up . . . (ok, I'll stop complaining now)

You might want to add or increase your clean-up crew in the fuge, especially algae-eating snails. I'm tossing handfuls of cheato down the toilet a few times a week. It grows fast under good lighting.

You can add an "in tank" fuge to grow pods and provde a safe haven for breeding and continued pod generation. I use an item I purchased from Home Depot in the Kitchen area a clear plastic soap holder that is about 4x4 inches with square holes in it. It comes with suction cups that are intended to put this in your sink. It works great in your main tank and keeps your algae of choice growing in a confined space while adding a protective place for your pods. I have one in my Seahorse tank and it is a constant source of pods in the tank. You will see the pod activity at night and during the day they are in the rock or the fuge. As the algae grows it it very easy to cut off and keep trimmed. I have also used one in my main display tank; the Tangs loved muching on the algae and the pod population kept on growing.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering about an in tank refugium for cheato and growing pods.

I have a 75 gallon reef with no room for an external refugium.

I saw this product. I think it might work. it looks like none of the macro algae could get out and

start growing on the rocks.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1711

I'll have to check and see if i have the space to fit it in my tank and also

consider if it will detract from the tanks beautey.

David B.

is your tank in a wall or closer that 4" from the wall? I have a HOB fuge 36"L x 12"H x 4"W and it works great on my 55. It is packed full of chaeto, and pods, some rock rubble for good measure. I found it on ebay.

is your tank in a wall or closer that 4" from the wall? I have a HOB fuge 36"L x 12"H x 4"W and it works great on my 55. It is packed full of chaeto, and pods, some rock rubble for good measure. I found it on ebay.

HOB fuge? Really? :) Do you have pics of this?

Thanks,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I have one too! From CPR. Ordered through eBay as a factory "B" second. I saw no flaws at all in it. However, the one minor issue is size. II bought the largest one and I'm not sure its big enough for a 90g.