SPS getting fat......what causes that?

Reefer_Madness

I have noticed that all of the corals in my tank seem to be getting fat vs. growing new branches.  I have a colony of Hawkins that seems to have almost doubled in branch diameter.  This is also happening to a BoP I have.  They look very healthy with nice PE, but it just seems strange.  Has anyone else encountered this before? 

I have noticed that all of the corals in my tank seem to be getting fat vs. growing new branches.  I have a colony of Hawkins that seems to have almost doubled in branch diameter.  This is also happening to a BoP I have.  They look very healthy with nice PE, but it just seems strange.  Has anyone else encountered this before? 

I've found that this can happen at times when the flow is too strong.  The branches get thicker for more strength/stability in the strong current.  Have you noticed this happening to colonies that are right in front of the powerhead?

I've found that this can happen at times when the flow is too strong.  The branches get thicker for more strength/stability in the strong current.  Have you noticed this happening to colonies that are right in front of the powerhead?

Ive also been told that growth patterns are sometimes dependent on flow. 

I've found that this can happen at times when the flow is too strong. The branches get thicker for more strength/stability in the strong current. Have you noticed this happening to colonies that are right in front of the powerhead?

That would make sense, but not the case in my tank. The corals that are gaining weight aren't near power heads.

It is not something an outsider would notice. I notice because I stare at my corals very often.

I know what my Hawkins looked like. Just something to compare

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I notice that my birdnest has very thick branches. It is seated on the top and next to the overflow. maybe it got all of the nutrients before they (nutrients) got in the filter.

Edited by s2nhle

(edited)

I think it is trying to build an island...

All the branches just keep getting more and more plump. It's like someone is pumping air into it. It's so strange. It's growing out too, but gaining girth faster.

Edited by Reefer_Madness

cheeseburgers? Seriously maybe fat is good

I had only one piece do that when I switched from LED to T5. Maybe lighting at tips is too strong for growth up there but is fine down lower.

(edited)

cheeseburgers? Seriously maybe fat is good

It looks like healthy fat. Like the kind I get when I eat hamburgers.....haha Edited by Reefer_Madness

I had only one piece do that when I switched from LED to T5. Maybe lighting at tips is too strong for growth up there but is fine down lower.

The growth near the bottom is fat too. I haven't changed my lighting really.

The tips are even fat.

The only change I have made is dosing Acropower. I started about 2 months ago.