Running Fallow for 72 days, need new home for 2 fish

dangros

Hey Everyone, 

I had a bad case of either ich or velvet or fish bird flu and need to run fallow for the 72 day period. Problem is,  I need to house my lawnmower blenny and a VERY cool red dragonette (the one with yellow fins).  Since my qt tank is only 10 gallons, I dont think I will be able to keep them alive for the 72 day period.

Can anyone suggest a new home for these guys while I try to set things straight?  Everyone else succumbed to the disease.

Dan

I do not but the prob is mostly the red scooter.  He only eats pods. I dont know if it will eat anything else and I risk killing him.  If I medicate him in the tub, the pods will die on contact.

Note the thread here - where it's explained to me in great detail:

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ichish-looking-clowns-can-anyone-id-this-illness-pic.200662/page-2#post-2308578

I'm bummed b/c I really love those 2 fish and they are the only ones to make it unscathed from the ick or velvet or whatever it was.  I guess the larger container could make a much better QT tank if I were to get it though.  Do they sell them at the tractor supply store?

My concern is not the size of the QT but being able to keep the fish alive in one.  
My display tank is a 90g w/a 40g refugium having lots of chaeto.  Millions of pods swim around all over the tank now so the dragonette ha no issues finding food.  Now that the other fish are gone, I dont even feed the 2 fish.

It seems that it would be a lot easier to just get rid of the 2 existing guys and run fallow for 72 days and start all over (fish-wise).  But I'm open to suggestions from the community!  

I would treat the tank with CP if I could but I have 4 nice anemone's and other corals that would prob get wacked.

(edited)

it really is going to much easier on you and the fish's likelihood of survival to not put the ruby red dragonette through your qt and treatment. the algae blenny won't be a problem as they usually readily will accept a variety of foods. both of these fish are readily available so unless it's the sentimental value don't feel like you won't be able to get them again.

but in your situation I would simply find someone willing to take them understanding their history and that they would require treatment or they stand the chance to infect one's tank with whatever known parasite.

I'm glad you are going fallow and doing the right thing for your future inhabitants. remember to avoid any additions (anything wet) during this time as well.

in the interim, during your fallow period, you can research and get a decent sized qt so you're ready to go with your restocking. if you have trouble finding the ruby red or algae blenny from a reputable source shoot me a PM when ready and i'll be glad to help as I routinely have them in some stage of treatment or quarantine. if you have any questions feel free to PM, glad to help.

edit: just read your newer post. with the CP be careful about your source as there are very few credible ones. a couple OTS solutions have come about with mixed results but I still prefer and will only use a prescribed powder and then get it tested with a certificate that it is 99.9% "pure".

g'luck!

Edited by monkiboy

If someone were to take these couldn't they do a FW dip before adding to a clean system to knock off the ICH? I know you still leave an opening for disaster, but just a thought. I wouldn't mind helping out, but I will be moving soon myself and having to tear down my 150G and 24G.

If someone were to take these couldn't they do a FW dip before adding to a clean system to knock off the ICH? I know you still leave an opening for disaster, but just a thought. I wouldn't mind helping out, but I will be moving soon myself and having to tear down my 150G and 24G.

It isn't specified what parasite he is dealing with so what may help best can't be detmerined. A freshwater bath might provide some relief for the specimen but not "clean" it.

monkiboy, thanks for the help!  I'll certainly contact you soon.  

As for what wiped them out, there seems to be some debate but we'll likely never know.  Some clues: Within 2 to 3 weeks 2 tangs, 4 clowns, and a dottyback were wiped out by this disease (in that order).  I've detailed it on that previous link on R2R.  The consensus was either Ich or Velvet with the rate of death being so high, I'm leaning towards v.  It seemed to come in when I got the 2nd Tang. All fish looked and ate quite well before that.  I have a pretty high res pic of the sick onyx in the other thread.

In any case, fallow is likely the best route so that is what I will do.  I've done this long enough to know that each shortcut in this hobby will take 2x longer and 3x more money in the long run, especially when it gives you the "do I really have to go to school today?" feeling.

I would be glad to QT these guys if I thought I could do it effectively but at this point my confidence in providing a STABLE environment in a QT is low.  The 2 clowns died in my 10g QT in one day, likely due to the added stress of the move and an unexpected temp swing (was too cold in there the next morning).  They were my fav fish in the tank too.

So if anyone wants these guys, let me know.  The sooner, the better - so I can start on the 72 day period.  

I agree with you across the board on your last post. especially on the necessary time it takes to do things right for your wallet, the tank, and its inhabitants. glad you are looking out for all the above and motivated. got your PM on the other items and will get back to you shortly.