Need advice on LED Fixture

TonyInVa

I have a 110gal aquarium. I have been using a Metal Halide Fixture, but it seems Metal Halides are a thing of the past. Most LED  fixtures I have seen are 12 inches long. As my tank is 48 inches how many of these fixtures do I need? Looking at the Radion XR30. (Man these are expensive) What other options are there? My tank set up is SPS up top and softies and zoas on the lower levels. 

I ran 2 radions on a 4 foot 90 gallon (48"x18"x24") that was a mixed reef and currently run 4 G3 pros over a 250DD. I love the radions and the control they provide but wish I could run halides. I don't because of the extra heat, chiller, electricity etc. The initial cost of the radions is no small chunk of change but long run I have been happy with them.

If you are happy with the halides stick with them. If you are set on a change the radions are a great choice

I run it2040's and have 2 on my 90g 4' tank. The coverage is complete but wish I had a bit more. Might be just the led pattern. They are great lights and much cheaper. They come in 3 different sized I believe. It2040, it2060, and it2080.

Check out some reviews on these. Not too sure what your coming from but I know the growth is slower with these but I get great colors.

On a 110 you will meet the umph of a xr30 as most economical led's fixture are only effective up to the 24" depth range. You would need 2 xr30's. I don't know about the penitration range on the IT range but they are good fixtures I have a it2060 and am impressed. Most led fixture will provide a 24"x24" footprint but it's just the effective depth range that will get you. I think the xr30's are a 36"x#" spread

Apcolman, I actually like my MHs. But I was running Phoenix 250s, which are no longer made. It seems MH are fasing out. Plus my t5 ballast have burnt out so If I change now may bee a good. Not that I want to.

(edited)

Try eBay for fixtures or the for sale forum on here.  The Ecotech warranty is awesome, so you won't have to worry that. 

That being said, I would not just get rid of the MH because they are "a thing of the past".  Both lights have their pros and cons.  I have a Radion, but when ever I see a MH tank there are things that make me jealous.  Vice versa for MH guys that see my tank.  I would suggest you think long and hard about it.  There are some very strong opinions for both sides. 

Also, you would be fine with 2 Radion XR15 Pros rather than spending the extra money on 2 non-Pro XR30s.  Just sayin' 

Edited by Reefer_Madness

Apcolman, I actually like my MHs. But I was running Phoenix 250s, which are no longer made. It seems MH are fasing out. Plus my t5 ballast have burnt out so If I change now may bee a good. Not that I want to.

If you like the MH/T5 getting new pendants and ballasts would be cheap. 

Here are T5 ballasts:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-fulham-workhorse-ballast-1.html

SE reflectors:

http://www.hellolights.com/Hamilton-Cabo-Sun-Mini-Reflector/dp/B00CSAU6UE?field_availability=-1&field_browse=6794597011&id=Hamilton+Cabo+Sun+Mini+Reflector&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Citem_type_keyword&searchBinNameList=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Citem_type_keyword&searchNodeID=6794597011&searchPage=2&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

I think if you LIKE what you have you could easily replace it all for tons less than switching to the high ends LED's.  Also, you may not be happy with the cheap LED's, and end up going back anyways.  I can't imagine T5 and MH are going anywhere anytime soon.  Phoenix may be gone, but there are tons of other options.

If you like the MH/T5 getting new pendants and ballasts would be cheap. 

Here are T5 ballasts:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/t5-fulham-workhorse-ballast-1.html

SE reflectors:

http://www.hellolights.com/Hamilton-Cabo-Sun-Mini-Reflector/dp/B00CSAU6UE?field_availability=-1&field_browse=6794597011&id=Hamilton+Cabo+Sun+Mini+Reflector&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Citem_type_keyword&searchBinNameList=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Citem_type_keyword&searchNodeID=6794597011&searchPage=2&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

I think if you LIKE what you have you could easily replace it all for tons less than switching to the high ends LED's.  Also, you may not be happy with the cheap LED's, and end up going back anyways.  I can't imagine T5 and MH are going anywhere anytime soon.  Phoenix may be gone, but there are tons of other options.

What do you think about retro fitting leds instead if t5s. I was thinking 3 ecoxotics on each side. What would the pros and cons be?

I know this sounds crazy, but I was in Home Depot a couple days ago and they have 42" long LED shop lights in cool white tubes.  If I recall correctly, the fixture put out 3800 lumens or so from the two tubes.  I'm not a coral guy and I have no idea whether the CRI is appropriate other than the description of cool white.  But the unit only used 38 watts which means you could run several.

I think the cost was $35.  They'd probably be perfect for an algae turf scrubber and maybe a reef tank too.  For $35 they might be worth hooking up to your tank to see what happens.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was in Home Depot a couple days ago and they have 42" long LED shop lights in cool white tubes.  If I recall correctly, the fixture put out 3800 lumens or so from the two tubes.  I'm not a coral guy and I have no idea whether the CRI is appropriate other than the description of cool white.  But the unit only used 38 watts which means you could run several.

I think the cost was $35.  They'd probably be perfect for an algae turf scrubber and maybe a reef tank too.  For $35 they might be worth hooking up to your tank to see what happens.

Costco has it too. It is very bright.

What do you think about retro fitting leds instead if t5s. I was thinking 3 ecoxotics on each side. What would the pros and cons be?

If you retrofit and have a canopy I would recommend rapidled.com.  Their service is great, and their retro kits are so simple to DIY for anyone.

I have no experience with ecoxotics.  sorry.

If you want to switch the T5's for LED's, I would presume you are going to look for some sort of blues? I would recommend the ReefBright strips. I've run them with my T5's, and I can only imagine they would pop with the MH's. While they are pricy, I believe they last longer, and are of better quality. That's just my 2c.

I also agree with sticking what you like. I've found that I prefer the T5's with an LED combo for color, but it's really all personal choice.

Costco has it too. It is very bright.

Oops, my bad.  It was Costco where I saw the lights, not Home Depot.  Thanks for the correction.

If you retrofit and have a canopy I would recommend rapidled.com. Their service is great, and their retro kits are so simple to DIY for anyone.

I have no experience with ecoxotics. sorry.

I will be staying with MHs. And likely retro fit leds from rapidled.com. Their kits make it look so easy thsnks for all the input.

There is a youtube review of the costco LEDs.  They put out a lot of par but the light is a little too orange for some people and they have a lot of side light bleed through around the sides of the bulbs that prevents their use in anything other than a closed canopy.  

http://www.addictiveaquaculture.com/en/led-lighting-reef-grow/8-arctic-t247-led-aquarium-light.html

These are the ones to buy. Previous TOM SPS tank cliffpuckstable (Jamie) runs them they have a great spread which is what I look for. But he has the non programmable ones but I bought programmable. I would run two of these and two reef brights from ERC at an angle on front and back. You will have less shadowing than MH with a crazy setup like that but I like being different