David's Sr-80 reef

I got a very good deal on the tank. I like it. If you run both return pumps it moves a lot of water through the system. The back panel is black acrylic and all the pumps, heater, top off is behind that.

I am running it berlin style right now. I have the ghost skimmer full size. It is not pulling anything out yet but I think it may need a few more days to break in. I don't recommend the topoff that is made by innovative marine. I am using the avast system with the hydro fill unit. I can always put filter socks where the tank drains into the back side, or I can put carbon there as well with the caddy accessory. I have the back of the tank 5-1/2" from the back wall. That gives me enough space to run wires and tubing and general work.

Thanks. I plan to use the tunze ozmolator. got an updated fts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest shot was last night posted above.

The latest shot was last night posted above.

Isee now. What do you have for flow on there? I have 2 mp40s i plan to use on opposite ends. Not sure if itll be to much. I dig it.

Looking good. Bummer about the light though thats not cheap to have laying around!

Thanks. I plan to use the tunze ozmolator. got an updated fts?

Isn't this why your getting rid of the 300.?

(edited)

The MP40 adds some flow but is mainly there if the power goes out it is connected to a battery so there will be circulation. I could probably be ok with adding one on the other side though.

The tunze ozmolator would be my choice also.

Yes, that was one expensive light to replace.

David

Edited by davjbeas

• 2 weeks later...

The updates are- Lost both the blue spotted jawfish and female anthias. Both died the same day in the same area of the tank. I think it has something to do with the source of the fish, but dying the same day is puzzling. I got in a derasa clam, mystery wrasse and large sri lanka skunk cleaner shrimp from www.liveaquaria.com. All are doing great. My tank has a screen top so I feel safe that the wrasse will not jump out of the tank. I would like to add a pygmy angelfish but will not as my clam might get nipped at. I am avoiding keeping species that are great but have pests. I am avoiding acropora(AEFL) for instance.

I am starting to see green algae on the tops of the rocks and the front glass. I will probably order a custom cleanup crew soon. Liveaquaria has free shipping on custom cleanup crew orders over a certain amount $.

For clean up crew I am thinking

20 nassarius snails

20 Astrea turbo

5 scarlet reef hermit

10 cerith snails

20 margherita

5 trochus

I am still looking for the perfect bubble coral, branching rainbow hammer, ricordia, some others.

I will be going shopping on sunday to blue ribbon koi and incredible corals with my wife and see what's there.

I have my 2 radion xr15 lights on a regular light timer. I have them at about 50% intensity. I own a reef link but am keep postponing the wireless set up as

I don't think I can figure it out. It would be nice to have them go from 0%-50% intensity over 1 hour then 50% intensity for 8 hours then ramp down to 0% for 1 hour.

The skimmer is pulling a little gunk out so I know it is working.

Here are some pics. I tried to get the mystery wrasse but he was too shy

Sr80%208-4-15%20008_zpsnxuibuwm.jpg

Sr80%208-4-15%20007_zpsyyvhzvmv.jpg

Sr80%208-4-15%20005_zps0dy9emd6.jpg

Sr80%208-4-15%20004_zpsbkbatqqf.jpg

Sr80%208-4-15%20002_zpsayqbxifn.jpg

I cant wait for my 60 to arrive thanks to this thread

Would you let me know where did you order it from. Thanks.

I am happy to have inspired someone. Good luck with the SR-60.

I got mine off the floor of the marine scene. It was deeply discounted. They even delivered it.

I think they are showcasing another brand right now at the Marine scene. I got my clean up crew today. I added in all the snails. I pulled out the custom caddy to change out the filter pad and carbon and I found the blue spotted jawfish that had been missing for a week. I can't believe he got through the overflow. He was flopping so much he landed on the floor a couple of times before I managed to get him in the tank. I saw a couple of pods in the filter sock I was taking out. I am thinking about ordering some pods from www.getyourpods.com . I did my best to flip over all the snails that were upside down.

So they did not have any sr left?

My sunrise dotty back got in my overflow twice in two week straight. I thought I was lost it for awhile on the first round. The second time he was missing i know exactly where to look and sure there he was in the overflow again.

Edited by s2nhle

(edited)

Wow, I can't imagine how it got between the over flow slots. They are only 1/4" wide. I guess being a slimy fish helps. Now I know where to look if it goes missing again. My wife is at home and saying the fish is swimming all over. Can't wait to see that. Before it barely had its head out from under a rock.

Edited by davjbeas

• 1 month later...

Slime has come upon the tank. Not sure what to do other than keep changing my filters every week and changing the carbon.

Here are pics from a few minutes ago

slimey%20003_zpsewqdfnbn.jpg

slimey%20002_zpsped9lezq.jpg

slimey%20001_zpsfvo9prok.jpg

David

my bet the cyano is popping up because the dry rock is leaching phosphates.   One thing I recommend to anyone using dry rock is to soak the rock in ro/di water for 2 weeks with changing the water in the soaking container at least once.

So at this point I recommend manual removal during water changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got some time to work on the tank.

I lost the shrimp two days ago.

My thinking is either lack of oxygen or a dying 3" zooanthid frag

What I have done is checked parameters

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

nitrates 0

alk 7-8 DKH

Magnesium 1350-1380

I have plugged in the other return pump which I should never have low oxygen levels now. It added a lot of surface agitation.

I didn't use it before because I was worried it would be to much flow through the back chamber. My thinking now is that it was designed to work with the two pumps running.

What I did is put 2 200 micron filter socks in the two overflows and the blasted the rocks manually with a maxijet 1200. It blew all the slime off the rocks. and all the detritus got trapped in the filter socks after 20 minutes.

I waited 3 hours and repeated the process with the power head. Same thing, there was a lot of detritus. like a blizzard.

after 15 minutes the water was perfectly clear I waited another 2 hours running the filter socks and prepared new water while the 2 hours waiting. I then removed the dirty filter socks and did a 17 gallon water change. As of now the tank is running berlin style which is no mechanical or chemical filtration, only a skimmer running. I have decided to put new filter socks in tonight though. Everything is very happy now , the fish are swimming and look very happy, and the frogspawn and hammer are opened and looking incredible.

I did throw out the dying zooanthid piece. I used tweezers to handle it and washed my hands well also very well because of the toxicity with that type of coral.

I have a dosing regimen of kent marine products

I dose Iodine  30 ml /week

strontium & molybdenum 30 ml

Magnesium 2x / week

Super DKH buffer to raise alk

Happy Reefing

Dave,

It sounds like you didn't have enough flow in your tank? You've put forward a good process and plan. I am curious as to why you are dosing all those things on such a young tank. What led you to start? What results do you think you're getting from that dosing regime?